Application Architect - Advanced Solutions
Application Architect - Advanced Solutions
Position Title: Application Architect
Department: Application Services Job Code: 00S50P
Work Unit: Application Services
Job Title: Information Systems Officer N32
Manager Title: Practice Lead, AMS Services
Last Updated: May 2022
Application Services provides a comprehensive set of services spanning architecture, strategic consulting, solution design, project management, and application development services to the BC Provincial Government and broader public sector clients.
As a key member of the Application Services team, the Application Architect will:
• Provide strategic business and technology consulting to enable effective decision making on information technology investments.
• Apply industry and information technology expertise to conduct feasibility studies, develop proposals, and design solutions in support of existing services and business growth.
• Work collaboratively with others to ensure architecture is aligned with business requirements.
• Document, develop and maintain the high-level knowledge and design for the overall architecture of applications and security components for a particular solution.
• Plan, conduct, and supervise complex assignments; as well as design and apply new methods and procedures.
• Design, develop, evaluate, and integrate business services, operating systems, and databases.
• Lead multi-developer projects and providing supervision, guidance, expertise, and direction to all members of the team.
Provides leadership, consulting, and strategic direction:
- Provides direction and mentoring to staff in application development.
- Provides application and database design consulting expertise, direction, and assistance to other team members.
- Anticipates obstacles and thinks through the likely impact of the alternative proposals/solutions.
- Maintains awareness of industry trends and provides regular briefing updates to client management.
- Researches new features, software, and tools.
- Verifies stability, interoperability, portability, security, and scalability of application architecture.
- Keeps up-to-date on emerging application design and database architectures, technologies, and methodologies.
- Quickly assess multifaceted problems and complex situations.
- Recognizes patterns and distinguishes the root cause.
- Analyzes and interprets data and draws inferences.
Ensures enterprise-wide application design standards are maintained:
- Creates applicable reference architecture and application design standards.
- Evaluates application development practices and creates development standards, policies, and procedures.
- Ensures application design and development policies are adhered to.
- Develops architecture and security strategy plans and roadmaps based on sound enterprise architecture practices.
- Maintains deep knowledge of the product architecture and of the technologies used.
- Maintains technical documentation of the solutions.
- Documents and develops in-depth knowledge of the application/s and security components.
Liaison with clients and partners:
- Facilitates collaboration with clients to transform requirements into effective solutions.
- Consults with and advises clients on business solutions.
- Works with internal and external partners to provide innovative solutions to business problems.
- Is accountable for architectural deliverables.
- Oversees developments and changes in the digital business to ensure they are adequately addressed in architecture and security strategy plans and updates artifacts.
- Reports updates proactively.
- Escalates issues in a timely manner.
- Ensures closure and resolution of the same.
- Builds checks in the team to ensure timely escalations.
- Identifies key and high-risk components.
Performs other related duties as required, including:
- Works with leadership to assist with financial planning and management.
- Participates in planning of software maintenance releases.
- Assists in the preparation of documents in support of procurement of goods and services.
- Represents Information Technology at advisory and user group meetings.
Direct (directly supervises assigned staff) 0
Indirect reports (supervises through subordinate supervisors) 0
PROJECT/TEAM LEAD OR TRAINING RESPONSIBILITY
Supervises students or volunteers-Yes
Provides formal training to other staff-Yes
Leads project teams-Yes
Assigns, monitors, and examines work of staff-Yes
Education and Experience
- University degree in a related field, or a suitable combination of education and previous work experience.
- Degree in Computer Science or related field and 5 years of experience; or
- Diploma in Computer Science and 7 years of experience; or
- Certificate or program completion in Computer Science, or some course work in Computer Science and 12 years of experience.
- Extensive experience in technology-related field (developer, network admin, security analyst, architecture) and in delivering COTS-based technology solutions in a complex environment.
- Experience in the healthcare industry considered an asset.
- Experience managing and leading virtual, cross-functional teams, including defining requirements, developing designs and project plans, and delivering results.
- Experience in developing large-scale enterprise business solutions in a multiplatform environment.
- Experience in physical/implementation architectures to ensure scalable performance.
- Experience with architecture design concepts and techniques and the ability to communicate and evangelize those concepts to a broad-based team, and
- Experience with Systems Development Life Cycle process.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge and understanding of Enterprise Architecture process and frameworks.
- Knowledge and technical expertise of current and emerging systems development methodologies, techniques, tools, and industry best practices in developing flexible and re-useable designs to support software environments and integration activities.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and tools of project management.
- Act as an advocate for ensuring that the application architecture aligns with the overall enterprise architecture goals.
- Work with other IT groups, develop and maintain an application roadmap that provides reduced overall complexity and increased cost efficiency.
- Hands-on experience with business requirements analysis.
- Proven experience in components design and development.
- Ability to ensure a complete, accurate and valid inventory of all systems, infrastructure, and applications.
- Excellent understanding of high availability and secure architectures.
- Proven experience understanding Health industry challenges, like privacy, vulnerability, security, etc. is an asset.
- Experience in the development of Restful APIs would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge of Natural, Cobol, Node.js, Angular, Docker, Elastic Search, Keycloak and UX would be considered an asset.
- Deep experience in database designing – primarily Oracle.
- Cloud hosting experience would be considered an asset.
- Leadership and direction setting through technical subject matter expertise.
- Ability to communicate concisely, both verbal and written at a level consistent with the audience’s level of understanding.
- Ability to supervise a team of IT professionals.
All Advanced Solutions employees are required to display the following competencies:
• Customer Focus
• Integrity and Trust
• Ethics and Values
• Motivating Others
• Drive for Results
• Building Effective Teams
• Priority Setting
• Decision Quality
• Business Acumen
Employment Type: Full time, Regular
Union/Non-Union: Union - BCGEU
Salary Grid Level: Level 32, Salary Schedule 2
Annual Salary: $111,725.80 - $127,988.80 (based on a 40 hour work week)
Office Location: Victoria, British Columbia - hybrid
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Victoria, BC
Experience Level : Senior Level