“We connect communities and customers to people and places important in their lives”
At BC Ferries, our employees are our most important assets in delivering our commitment to customer safety, service and satisfaction.
We offer a unique West Coast working environment with diverse challenges and opportunities. Whether your goal is to work behind the scenes, onboard our ships, or within our land based operations, you are a key contributor to the BC Ferries team.
With 47 ports of call and around 500 sailings every day, BC Ferries is the largest independently-owned ferry company in the world. Dedicated to safety, excellence, innovation, and people, we are committed to continuously improving the west coast travel experience of our customers.
Taking care of our employees is a top priority for us, and to do that, we offer benefits that help you stay healthy in all ways. Some of our great benefits include:
- Competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits package
- Public Service Pension Plan (a paycheque every month when you retire!)
- Vacation starting at a minimum 3 weeks
- Maternity leave employer top up
- Passes for ferry travel
- Amazing colleagues who share a common goal
- Discounts in our gift shops and with many businesses on Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland
- Career progression and training and development opportunities
AUTOMATION SYSTEMS ENGINEER
We seek a skilled engineer (or engineering technologist) for an exciting new role supporting automation and control systems in our fleet. Your responsibilities will include providing engineering support for new vessel design, refits, and engineering changes. You will be representing BC Ferries at government and industry forums, with regulatory bodies, and fostering effective relationships with OEM’s, contractors, and shipyards. You are a self-starter who can work independently, and in diverse teams.
Your skill set includes:
- effective communication and interpersonal skills;
- experience with distributed control systems, programmable logic controllers, and instrumentation;
- an understanding of the principles of Ethernet networking;
- an understanding of analog electronics, digital electronics, and embedded system architectures;
- excellent judgement and problem-solving skills coupled with a strong theoretical background;
- the ability to recognize, assess and isolate problems, resulting in timely recommendations and resolutions;
- technical writing skill, and the ability to communicate about technical concepts to non-specialists.
Other knowledge and skills that would be an asset include:
- knowledge of marine systems and standards;
- knowledge of operational technology cybersecurity principles and practices;
- experience with industrial equipment and machinery;
- experience with system safety methods (ie: FMEA, FTA, HAZOP).
You hold a Bachelors of Engineering or Science degree (B.Eng or B.Sc) in electrical, electronics, or computer engineering and are a registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or engineer-in-training (EIT). Candidates who hold a Diploma of Technology (Dip.Tech) as well as being a registered Applied Science Technologist (AScT) will be considered. You have 3+ years relevant work experience.
Please apply by November 2, 2021. All applicants must include a cover letter that discusses how their experience meets the position requirements.
BC Ferries supports employment equity and diversity in the workplace and we encourage applications from all qualified individuals including women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who reflect our ever-changing workplace.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application Link: https://careers-bcferries.icims.com/jobs/2345/automation-systems-engineer/job
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Victoria, BC
Experience Level : Intermediate Level