ASL Environmental Sciences Inc.
ASL Environmental Sciences, based in Victoria, B.C., Canada has more than 40 years of experience in acoustics, oceanography, ice research, remote sensing, and operational services. We provide scientific consulting and instruments to government, industry, and academic sectors in Canada and internationally.
At ASL, you will have the opportunity to work on a diverse set of projects, develop tools and advanced analytics and help solve important problems. You will also participate in defining new projects and capabilities to continuously enhance our service offering. ASL offers a small company experience with a friendly, professional, dynamic, and flexible work environment. If your ambition is for personal growth, to get exposure to many new practical areas, with a greater level of responsibility then come join our team and help shape its exciting future.
ASL is looking for a Biological Oceanographer to be a lead Subject Matter Expert, working with our consulting and products divisions. You will work with the ASL ocean and ice team to develop algorithms and processes to analyse bioacoustics data, particularly from ASL’s AZFP. We anticipate that the candidate will also be able to work with ASL’s product division to support AZFP clients. Support of ASL’s remote sensing team will depend upon the candidate’s qualifications.
- Subject Matter Expert for biological oceanography
- Help develop algorithms and processes to analyze bioacoustics data
- Teach and mentor other ASL employees and co-ops
- Interpret and analyze data problems
- Data visualization
- Contribute to reports
- Contribute to R&D to future hardware development
- Support and collaboration with current and future ASL bioacoustic clients
- Support and collaborate on remote sensing projects if qualified
- Present results to clients and at conferences/trade shows
- A problem solving mindset
- B.Sc. with 5 years of experience or an M.Sc. or a Ph.D. in Biological Oceanography/Marine Biology
- Extensive experience with bioacoustics analysis would be ideal but is not necessary. A basic understanding is required.
- Statistical analysis of finfish and/or plankton data.
- Good knowledge of Echoview, MATLAB, Python and/or R
- Diverse understanding of fish and plankton behaviour as needed to interpret bioacoustics data.
- Excellent communication skills – written and public speaking
- Willingness to present results at conferences and trade shows
- Be able to pass a security clearance
- Having entrepreneurial spirit would be a bonus
A competitive compensation and benefits package that reflects your experience will be offered.
Please submit your application including a cover letter and résumé via e-mail to Human Resources (email@example.com)
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Remote
Experience Level : Intermediate Level