Semaphore Solutions Inc
Founded by software industry experts, Semaphore is the leading global provider of software solutions for high throughput and high complexity molecular diagnostic laboratories. Our clients are pushing the limits of genetic sequencing and other molecular diagnostic technologies to fight cancer, increase diagnostic accuracy, and improve health outcomes for the general population. Molecular diagnostics is playing a key role in the global response to the COVID-19 pandemic, and our clients are also providing critical high-volume testing capacity for their geographical areas.
Semaphore offers a unique combination of software and services that is enabling our clients to realize the full potential of genomic science. Our client base is global, concentrated mainly in the United States. As our team grows, we look to include more people motivated to solve interesting problems and to collaborate on original solutions.
Semaphore’s Finance team is currently seeking a part-time (approximately 25 hours per week) Bookkeeping Generalist who is highly detail oriented and motivated by continuous improvement.
About the Opportunity
As the Bookkeeping Generalist, you can expect to be our go-to for all things relating to our books. Working independently, you will be responsible for managing subscriptions and users, ensuring all bookkeeping is accurate and current, managing capital assets and participate in monthly reconciliations. You will run reports as needed. You will ensure data integrity and identify and resolve any discrepancies. You will provide support and financial updates to management, and you will be responsible for collaborating with the People Operations team to ensure financial and operational procedures are completed. As the Bookkeeping generalist, there is potential you may be asked to support some office administration tasks. With many moving parts, a day in this role does not often include lulls, requiring an efficient and diligent individual.
What to Expect
Within Two Weeks
• You’ll train under our Finance Manager, and get up to speed on Semaphore’s bookkeeping.
• You’ll learn Semaphore’s day to day operations and how you fit in it.
• You’ll become versed on what errors or discrepancies to look out for as you run and review reports and financial updates.
• You’ll participate in your first weekly meeting with the COO to provide updates and go over accounting items as they arise.
Within One Month
• You’ll independently manage the majority of our bookkeeping processes.
• You'll complete your first monthly subscription/user review.
• You'll work with IT and our Office Admin to review the Capital assets list and processes.
• You’ll ensure you receive further training on any areas in which you need clarity.
• You’ll become comfortable with how we use time tracking tools and integrations (ie. Harvest) and how our office collaborates (ie. Slack, Confluence, Google Docs).
• You’ll run our custom scripts using command line, and you’ll feel confident in how we use Quickbooks Desktop for accounting activities.
• You’ll experience a company stand-up and enjoy lunch with the team.
Within Three Months
• You’ll find your groove and have complete ownership of Semaphore’s bookkeeping and subscription processes.
• You’ll collaborate with the People Operations team supporting HR functions.
• You’ll establish a schedule, including weekly and monthly meetings.
• You’ll attend a fun company event (or two) where you really get to know the team.
Within Six Months
• You'll train on other finance processes such as payroll and AP.
• You'll update process documentation.
• You'll identify areas of interest for additional training.
• Working knowledge of basic accounting processes and principles
• Solid organizational and time management skills
• Resourceful with a strong ability to work through a problem
• Proficiency in Excel and Google Sheets with a willingness to learn new tools and processes
• Working knowledge of Google Drive
• Ability to work in office as needed; some responsibilities for this role are on-site
• Ability to provide own transportation
Nice to Haves
• Completing or Completed a Diploma or Degree in Accounting or a related field
• Experience in Finance related field
• Experience with Quickbooks pro
What you can expect from us
• An open, supportive, and communicative team
• A casual, but professional, project-based work environment
• Flexible schedule
• At this time we are looking for someone available 20 - 30 hours per week but as the team grows there may be opportunities for additional hours, however, there is no expectation this person be available for additional hours
Working at Semaphore
Semaphore strives to have a supportive environment where employees are free to be themselves and can find a sense of belonging. We value inclusiveness, as we believe it is integral to a happy and innovative workplace.
We offer competitive salaries, vacation, extended health/dental, flexible hours and options to work from home. Our downtown office is equipped with secure, street-level bike storage and sunny patio space for office events, lunch or meetings.
Please Note: Due to the current COVID pandemic, the Semaphore team is working fully remotely. As there is still uncertainty as to when distancing restrictions will ease, all new hires, including this role, must be able to onboard and work from home if required.
Please apply for this opportunity directly through the Semaphore Careers Page here!
Job Type : Part-time
Location : Victoria, BC
Experience Level : Entry Level, Junior Level, Intermediate Level