C++ Chromium Developer - Redbrick
C++ Chromium Developer - Redbrick
Collaborate with the development team to support and enhance our custom Chromium-based browser
Redbrick is headquartered on the traditional Coast Salish territory, and we respectfully acknowledge the Lekwungen and W̱SÁNEĆ People of this region. With gratitude, we live, work, and care for this beautiful land.
One thing that our team members say they value most is our fun and truly ‘people-first’ culture. Ours is a place where you’re given the autonomy to do your best work and provided with all the tools and support you need to do so. Here are some of the things our team loves most about working at Redbrick:
- Highly competitive salary
- Attractive vacation, healthcare & benefits, including generous RRSP matching (Canada) and 401k (US)
- ‘People-first’ culture that prioritizes fun
- Autonomy and freedom to do your best work on your own terms (you won’t find any micromanagers here!)
- Flexibility to work remotely
- State-of-the-art and centrally located offices (Victoria & Minneapolis)
- Remote work fund to create a successful home working setup
- Opportunities to work on interesting products
- High-end hardware and equipment — in the office and at home
- Opportunities to learn and grow through professional development support, funding, and mentorship
- Internal mobility; opportunity to work with various products and teams across the Redbrick portfolio of companies
- Monthly fitness reimbursements to support a healthy and active lifestyle
Redbrick is the parent organization of a portfolio of disruptive digital companies. Headquartered in Victoria, British Columbia, we’ve scaled from local start-up to global name in a few short years, conceptualizing new business ideas, acquiring established companies, and growing them to super-scaled profitability — all thanks to the people we hire.
5 portfolio companies and growing
1 amazing shared service team
One of our 5 portfolio companies, Shift, is a general-purpose browser—the only browser that can integrate your web apps. By customizing Chromium’s open-source technology, we’re redefining the way you browse and creating a more efficient online experience. Our Shift team is 47 people strong and works closely with Redbrick’s shared People Operations, Finance, and Creative/Marketing teams.
We are shaking things up in the browser space, and building an exceptional team is our top priority. We cheerlead your goals and accomplishments and are invested in your future. We provide our team with the freedom and flexibility to work where they work best. Most of our team enjoys a blend of remote and in-office work. In-office time brings many perks and we put effort into planning events and fun that all can enjoy.
“Shift embodies a challenging yet supportive atmosphere that encourages personal growth and teamwork. We take pride in our work and hold each other accountable for delivering high-quality results, creating a culture where success is not just a goal but a shared accomplishment.”
What does a day look like in my role?
We get it: You want to know what you’re signing up for before you apply, right? This is what you need to know: As a C++ Chromium Developer for Shift, you’ll be responsible for:
- Collaborating with the development team to support and enhance our custom Chromium-based browser.
- Understand and maintain our browser's codebase, ensuring its stability and performance through code optimization, debugging, and refactoring.
- Analyze and resolve complex technical issues related to Chromium internals, ensuring compatibility across different platforms.
- Conduct code reviews, provide constructive feedback, and mentor junior developers to promote a high standard of code quality and adherence to best practices.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest developments in Chromium / C++ / web technologies, identifying opportunities for innovation and optimization.
- After 1 week
- You’ve been introduced to all of the Shift teams!
- You have an understanding of the software we build and are starting to familiarize yourself with the development process.
- You will have started or completed a couple of small tasks and merged in code that will be released to our users.
- After 1 month
- Be actively participating in team discussions and code reviews.
- Collaborate with the development team to understand the current implementation and identify areas for improvement.
- Successfully contribute to resolving technical issues and implementing new features.
- After 6 months
- Play a key role in designing and implementing major feature enhancements.
- Continuously drive improvements in code quality, performance, and stability.
- Contribute to the growth and success of the company by actively participating in strategic discussions and shaping the future direction of our browser.
What we would like to see in you.
Every Redbricker has three things in common: We’re curious, hungry, and good-humoured. We try our best to balance hard work with good, old-fashioned fun. As a C++ Chromium Developer with Shift, there are extra specialties we’re on the lookout for:
- 5+ years of professional experience using C++ / Objective-C
- Solid knowledge of Chromium internals and experience working with the Chromium codebase.
- Strong understanding of object-oriented programming principles and design patterns.
- Attention to detail and ability to produce tested, production-ready software.
- Proficiency in debugging and performance profiling tools.
- Ability to take ownership of and problem-solve your way through complex tasks and challenges.
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively within a team environment.
- Experience coaching / mentoring other technical team members.
- Experience with version control systems (preferably git).
- Experience with scripting languages (python, bash, powershell, etc.)
- Bachelor's degree, or equivalent practical experience.
- Previous or current involvement in contributing to a Chromium-based project.
If you’re picking up what we’re putting down, applying is easy as 1, 2, 3.
- Apply with your cover letter, resume and links to your GitHub or public repos and take this opportunity to tell us your story and why you’d be a good fit on our team. Please apply here: https://rdbrck.bamboohr.com/careers/240
- Download Shift (tryshift.com) -- we want to hear what you think!
- Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, and Instagram for all that is happening at Shift, and Redbrick!
Redbrick and Shift are committed to creating a diverse environment where everyone can be their true authentic selves. We value all differences as they are essential for a thriving, happy, and productive workplace. Join us and help build a disruptive company where we are all proud to belong.
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Remote
Experience Level : Intermediate Level