Reporting to the Director, Technology Development, the DevOps/Infrastructure developer is responsible for maintaining the technical infrastructure that supports all of the products and services that EPBC offers. This position is the authoritative source for the technical infrastructure that supports all of the products and services that EPBC delivers. This position is responsible for reviewing and providing guidance around the platform's capabilities and any restrictions that may impose. This role technical authority around the system's technical infrastructure and makes decisions regarding system configuration. This position needs to be mindful of how these decisions impact the development of products and services at EPBC.
Key Accountabilities & Time Allocation
System Administration, Configuration, and Support (50%)
- Create and maintain scripts to automatically deploy systems
- Review operational logs to understand how the platform is performing
- Review system performance and capacity and making recommendations
- User access management
- Apply service packs, security updates, hotfixes, or new versions of the software
- Assist other members in the team with troubleshooting any issues that arise
Application build and deployment (40%)
- Create and maintain automated build and deployment scripts and processes
- Troubleshoot build or deployment issues as they arise
- Ensure that all scripts are managed in a source-controlled manner
System architecture and design (10%)
- Review business requirements and design out infrastructure to meeting business needs
- Establish standards around system architecture and configuration
- Maintain proper documentation around system architecture and the processes involved to create and maintain the environments
- A sense of initiative, with the ability to set priorities and follow workflows
- A focus on providing exceptional client service to all EPBC staff and external stakeholders
- Ability to apply problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ability to communicate, both verbally and in writing, being mindful of your audience and their communication needs
- Ability to work collaboratively by building and maintaining positive working relationships with team members across the organization and with external stakeholders, if applicable
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable, adjusting to occasional shifts in workload and task priorities
Education, Knowledge and Experience
- A Bachelor's degree in computer sciences or a related field is required or an acceptable combination of education, training and 1-3 years of experience
- Understanding of the BC post-secondary system or government environment preferred
- Knowledge of devops methodology and automation tools, security frameworks, server-side infrastructure supporting scalable web applications, cloud-based hosting environments, systems architecture, relationship database such as SQL Server
- Knowledge of commercial cloud services such as AWS or MS Azure.
- Skills in administering and configuring Linux based systems, containerization such as Docker or Kubernetes, writing scripts to automate the build, deployment, and testing of software
The salary range for this position is $70,000 - $95,000 commensurate on experience, and it is based in Victoria.
To apply for this position, please send your CV firstname.lastname@example.org
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, although only those eligible to work in Canada will be considered.
This posting will remain open until the position is filled.