Experienced Software Developer
Experienced Software Developer
Semaphore Solutions Inc.
Experienced Software Developer, Genomics Team
Founded by software industry experts, Semaphore is the leading global provider of software solutions for high throughput and high complexity molecular diagnostic laboratories. Our clients are pushing the limits of genetic sequencing and cutting-edge molecular diagnostic technologies to fight cancer, maximize diagnostic accuracy, and improve health outcomes for the general population. Molecular diagnostics is playing a key role in the global response to the COVID-19 pandemic, and our clients are also providing critical high-volume testing capacity for their geographical areas.
Semaphore offers a unique combination of software and services that is enabling our clients to realize the full potential of genomic science. Our client base is global, concentrated mainly in the United States. As our team grows, we look to include more people motivated to solve interesting problems and to collaborate on original solutions.
About the Opportunity
We are seeking an experienced Software Developer to join the Semaphore team. For the successful applicant, the first project is with a Semaphore group collaborating in greenfield development of new components within a key client’s product line. This product line is leveraged by biotech companies and scientists world-wide to manage critical genomics lab workflows.
The applicant would join a team who are passionate about creating high-quality code enabling the end user to conduct scientific research using cloud-based, cutting-edge technology in the laboratory. A focus on customer success is an integral part of this role, as the Semaphore team collaborates daily with the client team to deliver on project achievements.
We value continuous improvement and the ability to assess and respond to shifting priorities. We are looking for applicants who share these values and bring a passion for applying their skills and experience to real-world software problems in the molecular diagnostics industry.
This role is open to applicants looking for either an employment or contracting opportunity. Remote candidates are welcome to apply.
Please note that due to the current COVID pandemic, the Semaphore team is working fully remotely. As there is still uncertainty as to when distancing restrictions will ease, the requirement to work from home may change.
This position requires proven web application development experience with modern frameworks. Applications typically have a front end component that communicates to middle-tier server side components, APIs and cloud based technologies. Extensive experience with at least one front end technology and at least one server side layer is a must:
• Server-side development: Python or Node.js
Nice to Haves
• Serverless Platform: AWS Lambdas or Google Cloud
• CSS or LESS or SASS
• GIT and Github
Beyond specific tech stacks, we want people who can identify and implement the appropriate language, tools, and frameworks for the task at hand.
What to Expect
Within One Month
• You’ll ramp up on your project's engineering stack by collaborating with your peers.
• You’ll learn Semaphore’s implementation process, code standards, key milestones, and configuration requirements.
• You’ll become comfortable with our collaboration tools (Slack, Github, Jira, GSuite, and Confluence).
• You’ll learn how it all works within Semaphore: the team roles, the interactions, the metrics, the processes.
Within Three Months
• You’ll be fully ramped up on the tech stack, tools, metrics, and you’ll be able to hold your own in a code review.
• You’ll be implementing full features for distribution to our customers.
• You’ll have analyzed problems in development or customer environments and support team members through troubleshooting.
• You’ll be comfortable applying your unique technical and personal expertise gained from previous companies and projects.
• You'll have celebrated at least one company milestone at Semaphore, and you’ll have started contributing to company culture feeding your own unique flavour into the company culture.
• You’ll know the capabilities of your team members, trust them to get their jobs done and provide mentorship as needed.
Within Six Months
• You’ll feel comfortable with the tech stack, understand the communication patterns and common pitfalls in projects and have contributed across the entire development lifecycle.
• You'll have identified areas in which you’d like to grow, and will have our support in doing so.
• You’ll be confident interacting with clients, helping them use the systems we’ve implemented.
• You’ll have led major decisions that drive your project forward.
• You’ll engage with the estimation and scoping process for new clients. You’ll be able to discuss feature requirements with client stakeholders and make design decisions.
Beyond Six Months
• You’ll be able to identify common patterns for customization, system interoperability, automation, and develop reusable tools or processes to inform our future client engagements.
• You’ll have led major product and code decisions and have driven the product forward
• You’ll continue to grow as a leader within the team by providing informed advice, custom solutions and consultative implementation support for our growing client base.
• You’ll play an active role in leading design sessions, team activities and ceremonies
• You’ll review requirements and upcoming work prior to development starting to ensure all work is appropriate for assigned team members and all requirements are complete.
• You’ll have a solid picture of how software plays a critical role in the management of our clients' businesses.
• You’ll take feedback from peers and identify your career path and how Semaphore fits in it. You’ll have a sense of Semaphore’s growth, and feel comfortable contributing your ideas that improve your team and the overall company.
• You’ll have engaged with our technical marketing and sales leads to share customer experience and satisfaction. If interested, you’ll have the option to participate in identifying new opportunities, service offerings, technical process improvements, or any area of interest.
Working at Semaphore
Semaphore strives to have a supportive environment where employees are free to be themselves and can find a sense of belonging. We value inclusiveness, as we believe it is integral to a happy and innovative workplace.
We offer competitive salaries, vacation, extended health/dental, flexible hours and options to work from home. Our downtown office is equipped with secure, street-level bike storage and sunny patio space for office events, lunch or meetings.
Please Note: We will be supporting work-from-home for the foreseeable future.
Please apply for this role on our careers website here!
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Remote, Victoria, BC
Experience Level : Intermediate Level, Senior Level