Frontend Developer, React
Frontend Developer, React
Founded by software industry experts, Semaphore is the leading global provider of software solutions for high throughput and high complexity molecular diagnostic laboratories. Our clients are pushing the limits of genetic sequencing and other molecular diagnostic technologies to fight cancer, increase diagnostic accuracy, and improve health outcomes for the general population.
Semaphore offers a unique combination of software and services that is enabling our clients to realize the full potential of genomic science. Our client base is global but mainly concentrated in the United States. As our team grows, we look to include more people motivated to solve interesting problems and to collaborate on original solutions.
We are seeking a React developer passionate about working in a collaborative environment to deliver solutions for the challenges faced by complex diagnostic laboratories.
About the Opportunity
Semaphore is on a mission to reimagine diagnostic laboratory operations. We are seeking a front end developer who will leverage their experience building web UIs with React to help guide us as we build the intelligent laboratory management system of the future. We emphasize quality in all the work we deliver, supported by a software engineering process refined by years of critical software system delivery.
We would love to have you working with us at our office in downtown Victoria, BC (once it is safe to do so), however, remote candidates eligible to work in Canada are welcome to apply. We only ask that work hours overlap with the Pacific Time Zone.
- 3+ years professional experience with front end development
- Experience with JS frameworks; React/Redux
- Experience working with Jest based tests
- Experience writing TypesScript
Nice to Haves
- Knowledge and exposure to Fluent design systems
- Experience using Figma
- Java development
Beyond specific tech stacks, we want people who can identify the appropriate language, tools, and frameworks for the task at hand.
Our process is rooted in continuous improvement. We refine all our processes as we grow, including our Agile practice.
What to Expect
Within One Month
- You’ll ramp up on your project's engineering stack by collaborating with your peers.
- You’ll learn Semaphore’s implementation process, code standards, key milestones, and configuration requirements.
- You’ll become comfortable with our collaboration tools (Slack, Github, Jira, GSuite, and Confluence).
- You’ll learn how it all works within Semaphore: the team roles, the interactions, the metrics, the processes.
Within Three Months
- You’ll be fully ramped up on the tech stack, tools, metrics, and the team will be benefiting from your valued contribution and input in code reviews.
- You’ll become familiar with domain terminologies and processes.
- You will have contributed your expertise in web application development to bridge the gap between design and technical implementation of features
- You will be involved in design discussions to ensure that the translation of UI/UX design to production code keeps user experience front of mind
- You’ll have collaborated with teams working across the product to support how the application looks, as well as how it worksYou’ll be comfortable applying your unique technical and personal expertise gained from previous companies and projects.
- You'll have celebrated at least one company milestone at Semaphore, and you’ll have started contributing to company culture feeding your own unique flavour into it.
- You’ll know the capabilities of your team members, and trust them to get their jobs done.
Six Months and beyond
- You’ll feel comfortable with the tech stack, and you’ll understand the communication patterns and common pitfalls in projects.
- You'll have identified areas in which you’d like to grow, and will have our support in doing so.
- You’ll have collaborated with your team to understand the product roadmap and leverage your experience with modern front-end frameworks to support the launch of new features
- You’ll take feedback from peers and identify your career path and how Semaphore fits in it.
- You’ll understand Semaphore’s vision, and feel comfortable contributing your ideas that improve your team and the overall company.
More About Us
We offer competitive salaries, vacation, extended health/dental, flexible hours and options to work from home or remote. Our downtown office is equipped with secure, street-level bike storage and lots of sunny patio space for office events, lunch or meetings. Please note that due to the current COVID pandemic, the Semaphore team is working fully remotely. As there is still uncertainty as to when distancing restrictions will ease, the requirement to work from home may change.
If you are interested in learning more about what we do, our impact on global health and to meet our team check out our Careers Page!
Semaphore is committed to prioritizing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and recognizes that this commitment requires intentional learning and growth. Through our recruitment process and internal practices, our goal is to recognize and incorporate diverse perspectives into our workplace and create an environment where everyone can find a sense of belonging. We do this by actively seeking feedback from all team members, challenging the status quo, and making concrete changes as a result.
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Remote, Victoria, BC
Experience Level : Intermediate Level