Full Stack Developer - MarineLabs
Full Stack Developer - MarineLabs
We're currently looking for a Full Stack Developer to contribute to our cloud-based IoT technology stack and help us scale-up!
MarineLabs is a coastal weather intelligence company that owns and operates a growing fleet of IoT ocean weather instruments on both coasts of North America, producing reliable high-resolution data products in real-time for our customers in various sectors of the blue economy.
We're currently looking for a Full Stack Developer to contribute to our cloud-based IoT technology stack and help us scale-up. The work involves development and maintenance of applications for MarineLabs' customer-facing CoastAware service, incorporating desktop and mobile interfaces, web APIs, and internal-facing fleet and user management tools and back end logic.
The Full Stack Developer is adept at writing clear and robust code for both front end and back end applications, as well as tests to prove function and reliability before going live, and reducing or eliminating work through automation and replication. Applicants should have a high attention to detail and a commitment to building robust, intuitive, attractive, and engaging web applications that strive for simplicity in user experience.
- Create and maintain components and views for front-end web applications
- Create and maintain back-end administration views and tools for MarineLabs staff and field operations partners
- Create and maintain internal and customer-facing API services
- Troubleshoot system failures and alerts, sometimes in real time
- Research and evaluate new software technologies and tools according to organization needs
- Document code, designs, deployment, configuration, maintenance work and troubleshooting procedures
- Possibly contribute to data processing or analytics applications given suitable experience and interest
The ideal candidate will have
- Experience building responsive web applications with React
- Experience with Django web framework, and advanced leveraging of the ORM and administrative interface
- Experience with SQL, noSQL, time series databases
- Experience with the software development life cycle, Agile methodology, and skill with distributed revision control systems such as git
- Experience with test-driven development and continuous integration tools
- Experience with web application security and authentication technologies
- Experience with containerization technologies such as Docker
- Strong work ethic, attention to detail, dedication to quality, and excellent communication skills
- Self-driven, with a strong desire to learn, and ability to follow clear instructions, and is not afraid to ask questions
- A standard of writing code that is clean and easy to test, understand, and maintain
- Familiarity with map-based navigation and responsive graphical UI elements
- A keen eye, a high quality standard, and good sense of what the end user's experience should be
- Passion for the ocean
Knowledge/experience in the following areas would be an asset
- Mobile app development using React Native or other modern frameworks
- User interface design
- Familiarity with the Linux environment and bash scripting
- The marine environment and/or related technologies
- Working with environmental time series data / modeling / forecasting
- Visual presentation of environmental data in time series or other formats
- Undergraduate degree in Software Engineering / Computer Science or equivalent
- 3+ years experience in full stack development in a professional environment
The position is full time and follows a hybrid work model, with weekly team meetings at the office / lab in Victoria. We offer a competitive compensation package including health benefits and robust vacation programs. We’d love to hear from candidates of all backgrounds, orientation and abilities.
Please send your CV and a cover letter in your application that details what attracts you to this position and why you would be a good fit at MarineLabs to email@example.com. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Victoria, BC
Experience Level : Intermediate Level, Senior Level