Gameplay Software Engineer
Gameplay Software Engineer
The team at Metalhead comes from diverse backgrounds, unified by a passion to make original games. We've supported and inspired each other through the development and evolution of the Super Mega Baseball series and have built a fiercely loyal fanbase in the process. And we get to do it all from downtown Victoria. We're growing the studio and hope you'll consider joining us.
Do you like the idea of bringing worlds to life using your coding skills? Do you like to obsess over game mechanics to seek the perfect balance between challenge and fun? Perhaps our open role of Gameplay Software Engineer appeals to you! You will report to our lead gameplay engineer and will work with the gameplay/UX and engineering teams to implement new game mechanics and enhance existing ones.
What you'll do:
- Work with gameplay and UX team to implement both on-field and off-field gameplay elements.
- Ensure gameplay features work within the constraints and parameters of a 60hz twitch sports simulation.
- Prototype new game mechanic ideas.
- Follow patterns and standards set in place to ensure game mechanics always work correctly in a networked online multiplayer environment.
- Spend work hours playtesting to ensure changes keep the game fun and competitive.
- Analyze and digest fan, QA and producer feedback to improve existing game mechanics.
Qualities we're looking for:
- 2+ years of professional C++ experience.
- Passion for game mechanics and the iterative design process required to make great mechanics.
- Good debugging skills.
- Experience developing, debugging, and successfully shipping software features.
- An eye for finding simple solutions to complex problems.
Bonus points for…
- Familiarity with a Visual Studio / Windows development environment.
- Experience with console development (PlayStation/Xbox/Nintendo).
- Shipped console or PC games.
- A degree in Computer Science, Math or Computer Engineering.
- Experience writing multiplayer gameplay mechanics.
- Experience with C#, SQL, AWS.
- Passion for sports and sport video games.
- Experience balancing gameplay mechanics using Excel or other tools.
- A cover letter is greatly appreciated.
Regardless of your specialization, a few things we're always looking for:
- Passion. You love programming and are always looking to learn more and hone your craft. Your shower thoughts are often software related.
- A sense of humility and ability to thrive in a team environment. You look for help when you're stuck and you want to help your teammates when they need it.
- A knack for managing your time. You know when to go deeper on a task versus recognizing that it's time to get 'er done and move on to the next thing. Quality is important, but so is speed!
- A willingness to branch into areas outside your core expertise. It's just a fact of life in a small studio as we adapt to the changing demands at each stage of a project.
- Drive to execute. Projects you've worked on in the past (personal or professional) got finished, and got finished properly… and it had a lot to do with you.
At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Apply now via the EA Careers page!
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Victoria, BC