GIS Technology Administrator
GIS Technology Administrator
Integrated Cadastral Information Society
Location: Victoria, BC
Job Status: Full Time
Annual Salary: $80,000.00 – 90,000.00 (includes 15% in-lieu of benefits)
The Integrated Cadastral Information Society (ICI Society) is a leader in the sharing of geospatial information; driving collaboration, integration, adoption and the use of spatial data for the socio-economic benefit of British Columbia.
ICI Society was incorporated in May 2001 and registered under the BC Societies Act as a non-profit organization, focused on building collaboration and cooperation between local governments, provincial government, and major utility companies in British Columbia. The purpose of the Society upon incorporation was to share data from multiple agencies so that members can contribute and consume spatial data from one source. Membership expanded to include First Nations and other organizations that benefit from sharing an integration of cadastral data. Members submit land parcel (cadastral), infrastructure and address data for sharing to the ICI Society and this contributed data is then integrated into a feature class, multilayer geospatial fabric, which is accessible back to members.
The ICI Society works closely with its members to provide valuable geospatial information and mapping services. New initiatives are established by the Board of Directors who represent the needs of the Society’s community. The Board is comprised of representatives who come from provincial and local governments, associate and utility member segments and First Nations. The Society works on new initiatives which emphasize and support the value of the ICI Society membership.
The Society has developed its own highly customized Extract, Transform and Load (ETL) suite of tools known as GeoShare, to facilitate the acquisition and distribution of member data.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the GIS Technology Administrator is responsible for the development, maintenance and documentation of the ICI Society’s Data Warehouse and Data Catalog. This includes data loading processes, data models, metadata and data distribution processes.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
a) Administer and manage the data in the ICI Society’s Data Warehouse and Data Catalog
- Develop, maintain, and support the Society’s GeoShare infrastructure (ETL Infrastructure) including analysis, data modelling, design, coding, testing, implementation, and documentation.
- Continue to improve and expand the Society’s automated GeoShare Services to provide data acquisition, integration, and distribution on behalf of our members for:
- Parcel data (ParcelMap BC, ICI Society Cadastre, BC Assessment Authority)
- Address data (AddressBC)
- Infrastructure Mains data
- Utility Data
- Zoning Parcels
- New datasets as established in accordance with ICI Society’s product planning sessions.
- Design, develop and implement integrated data quality management services as required.
- GeoShare Services enhancements as prioritized and established from time to time.
- Support the ongoing maintenance and Research and Development (R&D) of data access services, including web mapping services, data notification services and metadata services to provide ICI Society members with more direct and timely access to ICI Society information.
- Upgrade, migrate and coordinate the GeoShare Services infrastructure with ICI Society production infrastructure, including shared application licensing for ArcGIS, FME and SQL Server.
- Provide ongoing R&D reporting, and presentations as required and in accordance with the ICI Society Communications Strategy as established and modified from time to time.
- Balance Server load and job scheduling as required to optimize data processing.
- Other development projects that may be assigned from time to time as agreed upon.
- Ongoing GIS Software and Database Upgrades.
- Other duties as required and assigned/approved.
b) R & D Administration
Administration deliverables will provide formal project controls, including the detailed specifications of all deliverables:
i. Maintain and update the R&D project documentation inclusive of but not limited to the project need, scope, vision, resources, and work plan at a high-level, which will be used to establish buy-in from stakeholders.
ii. Report to and liaise with the Director of Operations in the ongoing maintenance and establishment of the projects and tasks that are included within the overall GeoShare Project Plan. The Project Plan provides a planning and scheduling structure for all ICI Society projects and includes specific deliverables and associated milestones.
iii. Maintain project communications in an ICI Society-hosted environment. Communications can include ICI Society approved scheduled status reports, presentations, marketing materials and status updates as defined and directed.
iv. Work with the Director of Operations to develop budget forecasts for projects and licensing requirements.
Development activities result in enhancements to existing ICI Society production services. Development activities follow traditional lifecycles of requirements/analysis, design, development, testing, implementation, and support, and involve the ICI Society computing infrastructure and collaborative input from ICI Society staff and members.
Specific development activities will be scoped and integrated into the annual work plans and authorized by the Director of Operations and ICI Society Board of Directors. Example of development objectives:
- GeoShare services expansion and enhancement
- Automated data delivery service: expansion and support of ongoing tailored data deliveries for individual ICI Society members
- New or enhanced data models
- New or enhanced meta-data
Concise communication is imperative and will include:
- Provision of reports and updates on a scheduled basis as required and determined in consultation with the Director of Operations.
- Preparation of materials and participation in planning sessions, user conferences and team meetings.
- Collaboration with other project and program managers to ensure projects are accurately tracked (via MS Project and Excel), budgeted and reported.
- Coordination and liaison with associated ICI Society Committees.
- Communication with stakeholders to manage expectations and project progress.
- Support marketing initiatives for:
- Conferences and workshops
- Website and SharePoint content
- Presentation materials
- News releases
- End-user training material
- Management of third-party contracts.
Education & Experience
• Degree in computer science, engineering or a related discipline plus 3-5 years’ related experience (related experience must include: development and writing of applications that utilize GIS data, integration of enterprise business systems, highly technical configuration, and deployment and management of enterprise system).
• Expert understanding of FME Server and FME Desktop software, preferably FME Server Certified Professional and/or FME Certified Professional.
• 3-5 years demonstrated experience with FME Server administration tasks such as optimizing performance, monitoring system health and troubleshooting problems.
• Experience with Python programming language (versions 2 and 3) and the Python FME API.
• Experience administering and troubleshooting Esri enterprise geodatabases and Microsoft SQL Server.
• Strong spatial data modeling and design skills.
• Working knowledge of Apache Subversion or similar version control system.
• Significant experience planning, testing, and upgrading enterprise systems.
• 3-5 years demonstrated experience with project management techniques and preparing project documentation.
• 3-5 years demonstrated expertise working with ArcGIS, FME Workbench, FME Server, SQL and SQL Server.
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities will include:
• Knowledge of Windows operating systems, including system administration, networking, and configuration.
• High attention to detail.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; able to express complex topics and issues to numerous audience types.
• Proficient problem-solving skills.
• Quick learner and capable of adapting to new environments.
• Efficient time and task management.
• Advanced level knowledge and experience administering enterprise information systems including integrating, planning, communicating, testing, upgrading, patching, configuring, security and web services.
• Ability to effectively communicate highly technical information in a clear and concise manner.
• Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and customer service skills are required.
Results Orientation is a concern for surpassing a standard of excellence. The standard may be one’s own past performance (striving for improvement); an objective measure (achievement orientation); challenging goals that one has set; or even improving or surpassing what has already been done (continuous improvement). Thus, a unique accomplishment also indicates a Results Orientation.
Problem Solving / Judgement
Problem Solving/Judgement is the ability to analyze problems systematically, organize information, identify key factors, identify underlying causes and generate solutions.
Expertise includes the motivation to expand and use technical knowledge or to distribute work-related knowledge to others.
Flexibility is the ability and willingness to adapt to and work effectively within a variety of diverse situations, and with diverse individuals or groups. Flexibility entails understanding and appreciating different and opposing perspectives on an issue, adapting one's approach as situations change and accepting changes within one's own job or organization.
Initiative involves identifying a problem, obstacle or opportunity and taking appropriate action to address current or future problems or opportunities. As such, initiative can be seen in the context of proactively doing things and not simply thinking about future actions. Formal strategic planning is not included in this competency.
Integrity refers to actions that are consistent with what one says are important. People with integrity "walk the talk" by communicating intentions, ideas and feelings openly and directly, and welcoming openness and honesty even in difficult negotiations.
Organizational Commitment is the ability and willingness to align one's own behaviour with the needs, priorities and goals of the organization, and to promote organizational goals to meet organizational needs. It also includes acting in accordance with organizational decisions and behaving with integrity.
Planning, Organizing and Coordinating
Planning, Organizing and Co-ordinating involves proactively planning, establishing priorities and allocating resources. It is expressed by developing and implementing increasingly complex plans. It also involves monitoring and adjusting work to accomplish goals and deliver to the organization's mandate.
If you are interested in the position and meet the above qualifications, please submit your resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “GIS Technology Administrator - Application”. In your response, please detail in bullet-point fashion how your skills align to each of the noted qualification criteria.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
Closing date: open until filled.
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Victoria, BC
Experience Level : Intermediate Level