Title: Intermediate Backend Engineer (Platform)
Location: Victoria, BC / Remote-first
As an Intermediate Backend Engineer on the Platform Engineering team you’ll work on an agile team that employs leading-edge technologies. The role involves working on the data pipeline that underlies Echosec’s web applications. We collect, curate, and enrich data, making it available to our applications and to external clients via our API.
Echosec Systems is a fast growing security software company committed to making the world’s data more discoverable. We gather publicly available data from a broad range of online sources like social media and the deep and dark web. We also build AI that helps make that data simple to search, filter, and monitor. Our clients use our products for security and intelligence purposes to keep people, places, and assets safe. We’re trusted by some of the most significant public and private sector organizations globally to support their missions.
As part of the R&D team at Echosec, you will be responsible for delivering features alongside peers in an environment that prioritizes developer empowerment, peer feedback, code review, engineering-forward customer engagement and an emphasis on best practices.
You'll have opportunities to leverage your expertise while growing your career by playing a significant part in the design, implementation, and maintenance of our enterprise suite of products.
The team is based on a growth mindset. What does this look like in practice? We strive to support all members of the team in building the kind of career they're proud of. This means providing clear paths for professional development and advancement.
We value different perspectives and the opportunity to participate in an open culture of respect, learning, discovery, and innovation. We really love what we do, which we think is reflected in the quality of our work and our supportive team dynamic.
To learn more about us and what it's like to work at Echosec, visit our About and the Careers pages.
Just some of the benefits of working with Echosec include:
- Remote-first culture with flexible hours
- A top notch benefits package including dental and extended health (hello massages)
- 4 weeks paid vacation starting year 1
- Supported professional development
- Paid parental leave
- Vibrant Downtown Victoria office space full of snacks, hot beverages and more
- Awesome team events (including but not limited to axe-throwing, go-karts & fishing trips)
- Contribute to the backend architecture for our data ingestion and enrichment pipeline using using languages, frameworks, and cloud services such as Typescript, NestJS, Kafka, and Elasticsearch
- Work on critical path features and enhancements for our distributed, event-driven systems
- Have an understanding of current technologies and make informed judgments on when and how to use them
- Maintain legacy codebase where needed
- Participate in timely and constructive code review
- Be an advocate for system integrity, developer experience, and knowledge sharing
- Provide guidance and mentorship to junior developers where needed
To succeed in this role, you must have:
- 3+ years of experience in software development
- Great interpersonal skills and a positive attitude
- High-level knowledge or hands-on experience working with Docker containers
- Experience with relational database management and Redis
- Strong knowledge of OOP design patterns, data structures, algorithms, and software architecture
- A passion for learning and building team knowledge
It would be nice if you have:
- A background working with Typescript and experience with Node.js and NestJS
- Experience with data analysis, AI, or machine learning
- Experience working with Kafka
- Experience working with Elasticsearch
To apply, submit your resume here.
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Remote, Victoria, BC
Experience Level : Intermediate Level