Intermediate Software Developer
Intermediate Software Developer
Semaphore Solutions Inc.
Founded by software industry experts, Semaphore is the leading global provider of software solutions for high throughput and high complexity molecular diagnostic laboratories. Our clients are pushing the limits of genetic sequencing and other molecular diagnostic technologies to fight cancer, increase diagnostic accuracy, and improve health outcomes for the general population. Semaphore offers a unique combination of software and services that is enabling our clients to realize the full potential of genomic science. Our client base is global but mainly concentrated in the United States. As our team grows, we look to include more people motivated to solve interesting problems and to collaborate on original solutions
We are seeking an Intermediate Full-Stack Developer passionate about applying their skills to a complex domain and solving real-world problems in modern healthcare.
About the Opportunity
The successful applicant will be applying their software development skills to building software systems that support the operations of high complexity laboratories. The systems we build range from fully custom software to highly complex solutions built on advanced platforms. We emphasize quality in all the work we deliver, supported by a software engineering process refined by years of critical software system delivery.
We would love to have you working with us at our office in Victoria, BC (once it is safe to do so), however, remote candidates are welcome to apply. We only ask that work hours overlap with the Pacific Time Zone.
- 3+ years professional experience with full-stack web application development, using modern frameworks. Experience with at least one of the following technologies qualifies:
- Front-end development: Angular, React, or other single-page application framework.
- Server development: Python, Java, .NET Core.
- Strong understanding of computer science fundamentals, data structures and algorithms
- Ability to collaborate effectively with team members
- Willingness to communicate directly with clients
Nice to Haves
- Experience in genomics/bioinformatics/laboratory science
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Beyond specific tech stacks, we want people who can identify the appropriate language, tools, and frameworks for the task at hand.
- Our process is rooted in continuous improvement. We refine all our processes as we grow, including our Agile practice.
What to Expect
Within One Month
- You’ll ramp up on your project's engineering stack by collaborating with your peers.
- You’ll learn Semaphore’s implementation process, code standards, key milestones, and configuration requirements.
- You’ll become comfortable with our collaboration tools (Slack, Github, Jira, GSuite, and Confluence).
- You’ll learn how it all works within Semaphore: the team roles, the interactions, the metrics, the processes.
Within Three Months
- You’ll be fully ramped up on the tech stack, tools, metrics, and the team will be benefiting from your valued contribution and input in code reviews.
- You’ll become familiar with domain terminologies and processes.
- You’ll be implementing full features for distribution to our customers.
- You’ll be comfortable applying your unique technical and personal expertise gained from previous companies and projects.
- You'll have celebrated at least one company milestone at Semaphore, and you’ll have started contributing to company culture feeding your own unique flavour into it.
- You’ll know the capabilities of your team members, and trust them to get their jobs done.
Within Six Months
- You’ll feel comfortable with the tech stack, and you’ll understand the communication patterns and common pitfalls in projects.
- You'll have identified areas in which you’d like to grow, and will have our support in doing so.
- You’ll be confident interacting with clients, helping them use the systems we’ve implemented.
- You’ll demonstrate understanding and proficiency in one or more of the following: application architecture, using and building APIs, configuration, disaster recovery, platform security, DevOps, or your unique skill-set.
- You’ll start engaging with the estimation and scoping process for new clients.
- You’ll be able to discuss feature requirements with client stakeholders and make design decisions.
Beyond Six Months
- You’ll be able to identify common patterns for customization, system interoperability, automation, and develop reusable tools or processes to inform our future client engagements.
- You’ll support the team by providing informed advice, custom solutions and consultative implementation support for our growing client base.
- You’ll have a solid picture of how software plays a critical role in the management of our clients' businesses.
- You’ll take feedback from peers and identify your career path and how Semaphore fits in it.
- You’ll have a sense of Semaphore’s growth, and feel comfortable contributing your ideas that improve your team and the overall company.
- You’ll have engaged with our technical marketing and sales leads to share customer experience and satisfaction. If interested, you’ll have the option to participate in identifying new opportunities, service offerings, technical process improvements, or any area of interest.
More About Us
Semaphore strives to have an environment where employees are free to be themselves and can find a sense of belonging. We value inclusiveness as we believe it is integral to a happy and innovative workplace. We offer competitive salaries, vacation, extended health/dental, flexible hours and options to work from home. Our downtown office is equipped with secure, street-level bike storage and sunny patio space for office events, lunch or meetings.
Please note: Due to the current COVID pandemic, the Semaphore team is working fully remotely. As there is still uncertainty as to when distancing restrictions will ease, all new hires, including this role, must be able to onboard and work from home.
To apply for this opportunity, please complete the application on our Careers Page here
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Remote, Victoria, BC
Experience Level : Intermediate Level