Junior Software Developer
Junior Software Developer
Semaphore Solutions Inc.
Junior Software Developer
Founded by software industry experts, Semaphore is the leading global provider of software solutions for high throughput and high complexity molecular diagnostic laboratories. Our clients are pushing the limits of genetic sequencing and other molecular diagnostic technologies to fight cancer, increase diagnostic accuracy, and improve health outcomes for the general population. Molecular diagnostics is playing a key role in the global response to the COVID-19 pandemic, and our clients are also providing critical high-volume testing capacity for their geographical areas.
Semaphore offers a unique combination of software and services that is enabling our clients to realize the full potential of genomic science. Our client base is global, concentrated mainly in the United States. As our team grows, we look to include more people motivated to solve interesting problems and to collaborate on original solutions.
We are currently seeking a Junior Developer to join Semaphore’s Genomics team, where you will be provided the mentorship and training needed to grow your development skills.
About the Opportunity
The successful applicant will be applying their software development skills to building software systems that support the operations of high complexity laboratories. The systems we build range from fully custom software to highly complex solutions built on advanced platforms. We emphasize quality in all the work we deliver, supported by a software engineering process refined by years of critical software system delivery.
You will join a team of experienced developers who will support your onboarding and ongoing training as you ramp up in the genomics domain and develop your skills in an agile environment. You will have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects to gain exposure to various technologies as you build the foundations for your development career. We are seeking someone who is passionate about applying their development skills to a complex domain and who is comfortable asking for help when unsure about how to tackle a challenge.
What to Expect
Within One Month
- You’ll learn about and ramp up on multiple projects’ engineering stacks by collaborating with your peers.
- You’ll learn Semaphore’s implementation process, code standards, key milestones, and configuration requirements.
- You’ll become comfortable with our collaboration tools (Slack, Github, Jira, GSuite, and Confluence).
- You’ll learn how it all works within Semaphore: the team roles, the interactions, the metrics, the processes.
Within Three Months
- You’ll be mostly ramped up on the tech stack, tools, metrics, and you’ll be able to hold your own in a code review.
- You’ll become more familiar with domain terminologies and processes.
- You’ll be comfortable applying your unique technical and personal expertise gained from previous projects or experiences.
- You'll have celebrated at least one company milestone at Semaphore, and you’ll have started contributing to company culture feeding your own unique flavour into it.
Within Six Months
- You’ll feel comfortable with the tech stack, and you’ll understand the communication patterns and common pitfalls in projects.
- You’ll have gained general competency around applicable areas of our domain(s).
- You'll have identified areas in which you’d like to grow, and will have our support in doing so.
- You’ll demonstrate understanding and proficiency in one or more of the following: using and building APIs, configuration, disaster recovery, platform security, DevOps, or your unique skill-set.
- You’ll start engaging with the estimation and scoping process for new work. You’ll be able to discuss feature requirements with client stakeholders and make design decisions.
Beyond Six Months
- You’ll be able to identify common patterns for customization, system interoperability, automation, and develop reusable tools or processes to inform our future client engagements.
- You’ll support the team by providing informed advice, custom solutions, and consultative implementation support for our growing client base.
- You’ll have a solid picture of how software plays a critical role in the management of our clients' businesses.
- You’ll take feedback from peers and identify your career path and how Semaphore fits in it. You’ll have a sense of Semaphore’s growth and feel comfortable contributing your ideas that improve your team and the overall company.
- This position requires proven full-stack web application development experience with modern frameworks. Experience with any of the following technologies qualifies:
- Front-end development: Angular, React, or another single-page application framework
- Server development: Python, Java, or .NET Core
- Beyond specific tech stacks, we want people who can identify the appropriate language, tools, and frameworks for the task at hand.
- Our process is rooted in continuous improvement. We refine all our processes as we grow, including our Agile practice.
Working at Semaphore
Semaphore strives to have a supportive environment where employees are free to be themselves and can find a sense of belonging. We value inclusiveness, as we believe it is integral to a happy and innovative workplace.
We offer competitive salaries, vacation, extended health/dental, flexible hours and options to work from home. Our downtown office is equipped with secure, street-level bike storage and sunny patio space for office events, lunch or meetings.
Please Note: Due to the current COVID pandemic, the Semaphore team is working fully remotely. As there is still uncertainty as to when distancing restrictions will ease, all new hires, including this role, must be able to onboard and work from home if required.
Please apply for this opportunity directly through the Semaphore Careers Page here!
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Remote, Victoria, BC
Experience Level : Junior Level