Applications are currently being accepted for the exempt administrative position of:
Manager, IT Infrastructure
Location: Comox Valley Campus
Department: IT Services
Posting #: AS0005
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Reporting to the Director, IT, working under minimal supervision and in a hands-on role, the Manager’s role is to plan, organize, implement and manage network and data centre operations to ensure the stable and secure operation of the college’s IT infrastructure. This includes developing, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing key functional areas, particularly network infrastructure, server, storage and data centre infrastructure, classroom and AV infrastructure, telecommunications systems and the overall IT security strategy. The Manager will also schedule and direct activities to resolve problems and respond to alerts and security incidents in a timely and accurate fashion.
The Manager leads a team of Network Systems Analysts and Distributed Learning staff and is responsible for implementing and maintaining a collaborative teamwork approach with a customer service focus in the support of the College community.
The Manager provides leadership in integrating these services in terms of both function and information in order to maximize the effectiveness of the institution’s technology investments. The Manager plans, directs, delivers, and evaluates cost-effective solutions that meet client needs. The Manager represents the IT department on College-wide committees to ensure that information system implications are considered and the related contributions to achieving College plans are maximized. The Manager works in close partnership and cooperation with the IT management team (IT Director, Enterprise Systems Manager and the IT Service Delivery Manager). This partnership includes effective priority setting and balancing of resources to meet overall college objectives.
Education & Experience
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related discipline is required.
- A minimum of six years’ experience managing and delivering infrastructure design and operational leadership. This includes progressive experience in a leadership role including planning, budgeting, reporting and supervising staff in a unionized environment.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Preference is given to certification in Project Management and ITSM systems and frameworks (e.g. ITIL, COBIT etc.).
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent leadership skills, including team building, planning and working through change and conflict resolution.
- Knowledge and applied experience working with current network, server and infrastructure systems, telephony and identity management whether on premise or cloud-based.
- Knowledge and experience relating to IT and cyber security practices, including OS and 3rd party software patching, firewalls, network configurations, phishing, and software hardening and deployment and imaging systems.
- Experience with the Microsoft Enterprise suite of server technologies, including but not limited to MS365, Active Directory, Exchange, Skype for Business, System Center Suite, Hyper-V, Azure, ADFS etc.
- Ability to lead a team and motivate staff effectively within small and large scale projects.
- Experience in developing Business Continuity Plans and Disaster Recovery Plans.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to successfully present ideas and concepts to a wide range of college stakeholders.
- Strong client service orientation with an exceptional knowledge of infrastructure service delivery.
- Knowledge of management principles and practices in a service environment.
- Able to make decisions related to prioritization and execution of tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience in interpreting the applicability of local and federal laws/regulations to college operations.
- Sound understanding of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) and promotes and supports the application of FIPPA within the college.