QA Automation Developer
QA Automation Developer
QA Automation Developer
Manager, Technical Operations
Pay Grade 10
EducationPlannerBC is B.C.’s provincial application and data exchange hub designed to provide improved access to post-secondary education in B.C. by engaging and informing applicants and their supporters throughout their post-secondary research, planning and application process. EducationPlannerBC works to proactively innovate for our applicants, public post-secondary institutions and government partners.
Reporting to the Manager, Technical Operations, the QA Automation Developer is responsible for activities around the development and support of a wide range of software applications, many of which are mission-critical. The QA Automation Developer is an experienced IT practitioner with excellent technical skills, has a customer-service focus, and works well both independently and in project teams. This role is responsible for designing, implementing, and supporting the automated testing environment that underpins the overall quality assurance for the products and services produced. The role is part of the technical activities such as software development, software testing, systems design, system maintenance, general systems administration, and business analysis to support the software development process.
Key Accountabilities & Time Allocation
Automated Test Development (50%)
- Design automated test strategy to cover general areas (happy path, negative path, regression, performance, etc.)
- Creating, documenting, and maintaining test frameworks of all areas of automated testing
- Continually reviews the automated testing landscape for new platforms, automation frameworks, and approaches to help improve the overall quality of the software
- Design and maintain automated tests as functionality shifts
- Evaluate the best methods to approach the automated testing processes
- Enhance test frameworks and develop automated tests
- Analyze performance test requirements and develop test plans and debug to understand test objective requirements
- Document automated tests so they are clearly understood
- Participate in sprint planning sessions to identify the product backlog of items and what is required to be completed to meet project deadlines
Troubleshoot and Bug Fix Automated Tests (40%)
- Collaborate with developers to identify whether failed automated tests are a true defect or an issue with the automated test
- Write and debug automates tests, review business requirements and functionality and determine the appropriate level of testing to verify functionality is operating correctly
- Modified automated tests when an issue is identified
- Review existing tests for performance improvements
Automated Test Design (10%)
- Collaborate with the Team Lead to identify general automated testing approach and the level of overall coverage of functionality versus test case implementation
- Provide design and automated testing coverage to the team towards improving the overall quality of the products produced
- Investigate new ways or aspects of automated testing that could be implemented to improve overall product quality
- A sense of initiative, with the ability to set priorities and follow workflows
- A focus on providing exceptional client-service to all EPBC staff and external stakeholders
- Ability to apply problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to clearly communicate, both verbally and in writing, being mindful of your audience and their communication needs
- Ability to work collaboratively by building and maintaining positive working relationships with team members across the organization and with external stakeholders, if applicable
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable, adjusting to occasional shifts in workload and task priorities
Education, Knowledge and Experience
Associate’s degree, or vocational or technical school degree or an acceptable combination of education, training, and 1-3 years experience
Understanding of the BC post-secondary system or government environment preferred
Experience writing automated tests for web applications as well as REST API’s, proper source code management and versioning using things like GitHub, documenting test cases for review
Knowledge of automated testing tools such as JMeter, Selenium, TestComplete, Cypress
Knowledge of programming languages such as C#, Java, Go
Knowledge of Single Page Applications (SPA) and other web based application architectures
Knowledge of automated test design and development, different testing methodologies or approaches to ensure proper test coverage
Familiarity with continuous integration and working with multiple environments
The key stakeholders and team members this role interacts with include:
Internal stakeholders – All Members of the organization, SFU
External stakeholder – PSIs, Vendors, SFU, Governance Committees, BC Government Ministries, Provincial and National Hubs (e.g. ARUCC National Network), PSI organizations (e.g. BCRA, WARUCC), Sector Agencies (e.g. BCCAT, BCcampus), Industry Partners (e.g. PESC, GDN)
Decision Making Authority
Decisions generally affect their own job, procedures, and the department in which the employee works. Through the collaborative nature of EPBC, decisions may also impact the workflow or reputation of other departments. In some instances, decisions may impact stakeholders, though management supervision generally limits this position's impact on decisions.
This role had no financial responsibility.
This position is expected to have the normal working conditions expected of a professional office role. Additional working conditions include:
- Evening and/or weekend work may be assigned, on occasion, in response to critical issues or in lieu of regularly scheduled weekday shifts.
- Possible eye strain from the constant viewing of electronic displays (i.e. computer monitors)
- Occasional travel may be required
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This is a full-time position, the salary range for this position is $70,000 - $84,000 commensurate with experience.
This position is based in Victoria.
To apply for this position, please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, although only those eligible to work in Canada will be considered.
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Victoria, BC