Position Title: QA Manager (IT Manager, Testing)
Reports to: Director of Business Systems Analyst, Pharmacare
Worker Category: Regular, Full Time
Location: 716 Yates Street, Victoria, BC
The Pharmaceutical Services Segment is a part of the MAXIMUS Canada IT department. The Pharmaceutical Services team is responsible for information management and information technology processes and supporting technical applications in the PharmaCare domain on behalf of our client, the B.C. Ministry of Health.
The team provides full cycle of the application management services in the PharmaCare business domain including development of new solutions and integration of COTS products, as well as Production Support and maintenance functions such as system enhancements and bug fixes.
A key component of the PharmaCare domain is PharmaNet, the provincial Drug Information and Pharmacy Claims and Payments system. PharmaNet is a 24x7 system which provides access to a centralized repository of patient medication profiles to authorized health care practitioners. All community pharmacies in B.C. connect to PharmaNet, as well as a large number of community practitioner offices, hospitals and emergency departments.
The Pharmaceutical Services team Business Systems Analysts and Testers work with their counterparts in the Development, Infrastructure, PMO and Operations business units to ensure PharmaNet runs smoothly and without interruption, and meets all of its Service Level Requirements.
The IT Manager, Testing manages and directs the work and work products of a team of manual and automation testers delivering testing artifacts that align with client expectations and company standards and methodologies. This role requires test advocacy, planning and execution in an environment with changing requirements and sometimes ambiguous information, management of client relationships and expectations, and leading of cross-functional teams in a mixed union/non-union environment to deliver value-added IT solutions on behalf of the Ministry of Health.
• Directly supervise a team of 5-10 business systems analysts including work assignment, review and feedback of work products, providing coaching on professional development and performance management.
• Directly supervise a team of 3-10 manual and automation testers including work assignment, review, and feedback of work products, providing coaching on professional development and performance management.
• Plan and manage the testing of strategic projects and service requests of all sizes including facilitating internal and client meetings, setting direction and priorities, providing estimates, allocating resources, leading cross functional teams, and managing project schedule and budget.
• Work collaboratively with the client, internal and external stakeholders to understand testing priorities, requirements and issues and develop and implement a test strategy and plan to meet these needs.
• Support resolution of project and production issues. Lead resolution of testing related issues and deliver briefing materials for decision making to upper management.
• Own and direct the use of standards on testing processes and documentation within the Pharmaceutical Services team and work collaboratively with IT Managers in other teams to ensure standards are used consistently across the organization.
• Help manage ongoing production support of PharmaNet and its peripheral systems ensuring compliance with SLRs.
• Plan and manage small to medium size projects and service requests including facilitating internal and client meetings, setting direction and priorities, providing estimates, allocating resources, leading cross functional teams and managing project schedule and budget.
• Work collaboratively with the client, internal and external stakeholders to understand priorities, issues and requirements and develop and implement a solution to meet these needs.
• Lead resolution of issues and develop and deliver briefing materials for decision making to upper management.
• Own and direct the use of standards on requirements and functional design documentation within the Pharmaceutical Services team, and work collaboratively with IT Managers in other teams to ensure standards are used consistently across the organization.
• Manage ongoing production support of PharmaNet and its peripheral systems ensuring compliance with SLRs.
Education and Experience
• Degree from an accredited college or university, with major coursework in systems analysis, information systems, computer science or a related field, and have experience successfully implementing and supporting enterprise applications
• The ideal candidate will have 5+ years of experience in an identical or similar role
• ISTQB Certification preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Requirements Elicitation and effectively capturing requirements and design
• Leading and working with business systems analysts and cross functional teams
• Managing scope, schedule and budget for small to medium sized projects
• Business Process Modeling
• Use Cases and UML Modeling
• Requirements Tools
• Basic SQL skills
• Experience with the application landscape that supports the British Columbia Ministry of Health
• Health Insurance or Pharmacy Industry
• Release planning, business process reengineering, and business case development and status reporting
• Testing and Quality Assurance
• Agile project experience
• HL7 messaging and XML scripting
Results and Delivery
• Defines appropriate goals
• Works toward achieving goals
• Articulates vision and steps for achievement
• Provides strong example
• Sets a good example
• Skilled decision maker, motivator, encourager
• Acts with integrity and respect, in an open and direct manner
• Manages performance fairly and firmly
• Recognizes and rewards accomplishments
• Encourages our diverse workforce to develop and fully utilize their skills
• Promotes a challenging work environment, empowering our employees to get the job done
• Maintains current understanding of technical processes and equipment
• Uses technology to increase performance and productivity
• Offers new ideas
• Amendable to change
• Understands the balance between our capabilities, the customer’s expectations, and the parameters in which we operate
• Uses open, honest communication to develop relationships built on trust and mutual respect
• Seeks to incorporate the experience of our diverse customers
• Builds relationships through personal credibility, as opposed to formal authority
• Takes the time to properly plan
• Data-driven and detail-focused
• Seeks out opportunities for continuous improvement
• Maintains confidentiality