Senior Cloud Engineer/Cloud Engineer - BCI
Senior Cloud Engineer/Cloud Engineer - BCI
British Columbia Investment Management Corporation (BCI) is one of the largest asset managers in Canada. With $199.6 billion of managed assets, BCI invests globally on behalf of public sector clients. We do fulfilling and meaningful work that makes a difference: 630,000 pension plan beneficiaries and 2.5 million British Columbian workers depend on our clients’ returns. Ensuring their continued financial security is important to us.
The people who work at BCI are committed, passionate, and approachable. They aim for continuous improvement and share BCI’s core values of clients first, performance focused, world class, accountability, transparency, and integrity.
BCI is focused on building a culture of excellence through our people practices and employee led initiatives. Being named one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, Canada’s Top Family-Friendly Employers and BC’s Top Employers is recognition of BCI’s ongoing effort to be a progressive workplace of choice that continues to attract, retain and promote talent professionals. As an active in-house asset manager, BCI depends on the specialized skills and expertise of its people to successfully execute its world-class investment strategies and fulfill client needs.
We are looking for Cloud Engineers who are open to bringing and sharing their expertise and recommendations in maximizing our Azure cloud environment.
BCI has a stable and secure cloud platform in Azure, and we want your input on its continued evolution. This work will require a combination of DevOps, Security and Architecture expertise and comfort in occasionally working with our business users to better understand and architect their requirements.
We have three (3) roles in the space and want you to tell us what fits your skills and interests:
- Senior Cloud Engineer – Linux focus
- Senior Cloud Engineer
- Cloud Engineer
This work can be done from our Victoria or Vancouver office location, with travel between the two cities (paid for by BCI). BCI currently offers 3-days in office and 2-day remote.
THE WORK – AN OVERVIEW:
We’ve stood up our Azure cloud environment and have a great, secure platform with many services developed and generally available for use at BCI. Through collaboration with internal and external teams our cloud engineers will work to continue enhancing our current Service offerings, developing new Services, mentoring team members within Technology, and evaluating our 100+ production on premises systems for possible moves to Azure.
BCI’s Technology department plans, provides, maintains, and supports business applications and information technology infrastructure. The Technology department is foundational to BCI - working as a strategic partner to provide technology that supports investment processes and all other business activities.
Hear from Tony Payne, SVP, IT about his thoughts on joining the IT team: https://www.bci.ca/careers/who-we-seek/#join-our-technology-team
Senior Cloud Engineer
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science or a related field, or a technical diploma, and/or equivalent experience
- A minimum of 6-8 years of experience with physical and cloud infrastructure including direct experience with Azure
- Experience with Agile methodologies and DevOps practices
- Experience designing, developing, and automating provisioning of resources in the cloud
- Experience in the design of self-healing and fault-tolerant services
- Experience with identity and access management
- Experience with monitoring platforms such as CloudWatch, Azure Monitoring or Stackdriver Monitoring
- Experience with programming and scripting languages such as JSON, Java, Python or PowerShell
- A broad understanding of cloud architecture, networking, and security technologies and/or security and technology frameworks is an asset
- Strong technical writing and documentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to plan, execute and deliver project results at a senior level
Senior Cloud Engineer – Linux
- A minimum of 6-8 years Linux experience in medium to large scale multi-site and cloud environments
- Expert level knowledge of Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- Experience managing Linux servers in virtualized environments on-premises and within the Cloud
- Solid knowledge of protocols such as DNS, HTTP, LDAP, SMTP and SNMP
- Familiarity with VMWare and SAN management and concepts
- We are open to an AWS background as well, as this is certainly transferable to the Linux work
- Similar to our Senior Cloud Engineer, however with a few less years of experience and seeking to build up that experience in a challenging and rewarding environment
QUALIFICATIONS: Nice to have, however not required
- Professional certification(s) in cloud computing, development, or architecture
- Linux certifications (RHCSA, RHCT, RHCE or LPIC) will be considered an advantage
- Experience with Red Hat Satellite and Ansible Tower
- Leads (Senior) /contributes to the implementation of a secure cloud operations and services strategy
- Collaborates with Technology teams on technical roadmap planning, development and implementation
- Develops and implements cloud governance, operational policies, standards or guidelines to align with industry frameworks and best practices
- Designs, analyses and recommends cloud controls, processes and procedures related to the use
of cloud products and services, and monitors for compliance
- Develops requirements for cloud products and services and drives selection, POC, implementation and deployment of cloud products and services
- Designs, develops and delivers new features and capabilities for cloud products and services
- Ensures that all deployed cloud products and services meet availability, integrity, scalability and security requirements of BCI and the Technology Department
- Monitor the health of production cloud and some on-premises systems, investigates and resolves technical issues, and engages in continuous improvement initiatives and activities
- Orchestrates and automates cloud and some on-premises operations management tasks and processes
- Communicates and/or interacts with internal technical teams, external service providers and customers effectively and efficiently throughout the service delivery process
- Contributes to the development and implementation of project plans at a senior level
- Provides technical leadership, mentoring and coaching to team members
- Proactively identifies risks and issues and proposes solutions to remove barriers
- Undertakes special projects or assignments as required
- Provides after-hours production support as required
THE WORK – IN DETAIL: (Linux)
- Contributes to the implementation and management of RHEL Linux environments both within BCI’s Azure environment and on-premises as required
- Proactively maintain and develop all Linux infrastructure technology to maintain a 24x7x365 uptime service
- Implements software upgrades, patches and hot fixes on Linux systems and management tools both in the cloud and on-premises
- Engineering of systems administration-related solutions for various project and operational needs
- Design and develop infrastructure monitoring and reporting tools
- Develop and maintain configuration management solutions
- Create and modify scripts or applications to perform tasks
- Provide input on ways to improve the stability, security, efficiency, and scalability of the environment
Please note: This role is in our Victoria OR Vancouver office. We offer relocation support for the selected candidate. BCI is happy to confirm that we are piloting a hybrid program whereby a majority of employees may work from home up to two days per week.
CLOSING DATE: July 3, 2022
To learn more about this position and apply, go to https://bci.wd10.myworkdayjobs.com/BCI_Careers.
BCI provides employees with a productive and fast-paced work environment, competitive compensation, a performance incentive plan, four weeks of vacation, employer-funded health & wellness plans, and a defined benefit pension plan.
Our recruitment process requires that the successful candidate agrees to undergo a criminal record search, education and designation verification; to provide a declaration of no previous or current criminal status; and to comply with our corporate Code of Ethics & Professional Conduct.
Interested in joining our team and want to learn of other career opportunities with BCI? Create a profile and sign up for job alerts at https://bci.wd10.myworkdayjobs.com/BCI_Careers.
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Victoria, BC
Experience Level : Intermediate Level