About Varsity Tutors
We are revolutionizing the way the world learns.
Our mission is simple: to help people learn! Varsity Tutors is a fast-growing education technology company that is improving how people learn. Our award-winning online and mobile learning platforms connect students and professionals from all around the world with personalized instruction to achieve any goal.
In early 2020 Varsity Tutors launched hundreds of free online group courses to help students (and parents) deal with the chaos of school closures. Conceived, coded and staffed in under a month this has grown to include small paid courses, Star Courses featuring celebrity experts and recently - just before the back-to-school season - we launched a Self Study program featuring a dynamic AI assisted learning assessment with focused recommendations to help students cover the gaps in their knowledge.
With more than a decade of operating experience we are North America's largest tutoring network and help hundreds of thousands of people learn each year through tutoring, classes and self study.
We succeed thanks to a diverse mix of talented people who want to come, to stay, and do their best work. If you love learning, technology, and making a true impact, you’re going to love working here!
About the Job
Note: Please feel comfortable applying, even if you don’t meet all the requirements for the position. We’ll let you in on a secret: there’s no such thing as a “perfect” candidate. Everyone can grow at Varsity Tutors. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups and people of diverse backgrounds to apply. Apply now if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day!
We are looking for an experienced Data Engineer that knows how to operate a modern data pipeline as well as a traditional data warehouse built on modern cloud technologies. This is a great opportunity to work with an amazing team and drive the data platform supporting our applications and analytics systems.
This position is a full-time remote opportunity! (We've been remote friendly for years and that isn't going away).
In this position, you will…
- Administer our Redshift based data warehouse
- Gather reporting requirements from business partners and ensure data availability and performance
- Create and maintain processes feeding data into and from Redshift
- Build out data warehouse and data lake capabilities
- Relational DBMS such as MySQL/MS Sql/Oracle/PostgreSQL
- Logical and physical database modeling
- SQL query design, optimization
- Programming languages: Python/Go/Ruby/Java
- Source code management: git/scm/mercurial/subversion
- Big Data: Redshift/BigQuery/Hadoop/Spark
Nice to have
- AWS Services: Redshift, RDS, Lambda, Kinesis
- Containerization: Docker or Vagrant
- Configuration: Terraform, Ansible, Puppet, Chef, or SaltStack
- NoSql: DynamoDb, MongoDb, Cassandra, Redis, HBase, or Cosmos