Position Title: Senior Director, Software Development (Application Life Cycle Management)
Reports to: Assistant Vice President of Technology
Worker Category: Regular, Full Time
Location: 716 Yates Street, Victoria, BC
On behalf of Maximus Canada and in support of our client business departments, the Technology Services Department provides services that supports them in delivering better outcomes for their clients. With over 125 staff, the Technology Services Department provides the following services:
• IT Infrastructure Service Delivery
• Pharmaceutical Services Segment Development Support
• Medical Services Segment Development Support
• IT Development Support
• Access, Audit & Investigations Services
• Shared Application Management Services
The Senior Director, Application Life Cycle Management will lead a team of highly skilled application developers and leaders in the day to day support and development of an array of applications that have both been developed in-house and by use of Commercially Available off the Shelf products. Leading a team of Senior Managers, the Senior Director of Application Lifecycle Management will be responsible for leading a team trained in multiple project management methodologies (i.e. Agile, Waterfall, Hybrid) looking at new ways Maximus Canada can deliver nimble and cost effect projects for our clients.
The ideal candidate is a proven leader who brings a breadth of experience and demonstrated
ability to drive continuous improvement ─ in both application lifecycle management and employee engagement. The Senior Director, Application Life Cycle Management will lead by example ─ empower his/her direct reports to manage their areas of accountability effectively and ensure that all direct reports work together as a highly functioning cohesive team.
This position will work with his/her peers to implement a quality, ITIL based, IT service management framework for our organization, including Incident, Problem, Change & Release Management, that meet the needs of our internal client and business areas.
• Provide effective leadership to the staff to create a highly engaged, high performance team
• Lead the team responsible for ensuring the smooth operations of our diversified application environment.
• Ensure the team provides effective leadership for client and internal projects. Prioritizes work, allocates resources, removes roadblocks & escalate as necessary to meet SLA
• Proactively communicates and promotes services of this group to ensure alignment with other functions to eliminate duplication of effort
• Ensure that client and critical internal systems are monitored and supported. Working with the Service Management and Architecture teams to ensure that all systems operate at peak performance
• Support the company’s commitment to protect the integrity and confidentiality of systems and client data.
• Support leadership roles reporting to this position, taking responsibility for recruitment and performance management of these staff.
Education and Experience
• Possesses a University Degree in a business and/or operations related field;
• Brings 10 or more years of related, progressive experience in senior management roles;
• 5 or more years’ experience leading a team, including union & non-union employees;
• A strong leader with a track record of successful team building, skills development and coaching;
• Demonstrated experience with multiple project methodologies including Agile, Waterfall and Hybrid
• A disciplined, analytical professional in style and approach; excellent business acumen and demonstrated sound judgement;
• Experience working with public sector clients preferred;
• Demonstrated track record of success at achieving or exceeding business objectives;
• Outgoing with strong communication and interpersonal skills;
• Autonomous and results-oriented; strong team player;
• Brings potential and aspiration to assume broader and more senior leadership roles;
• Transparent, honest and ethical.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Able to act as an ITIL / ITSM leader capable of establishing a supporting practice for Maximus Canada
• Agile certification and Scrum Master training essential.
• Highly knowledge in the delivery of IT Services.
• SLA creation and management experience
• Metrics driven management in a large-scale operation
• Project Management: must possess a solid understanding of the project management and systems development life cycles
• Ability to align peers and stakeholders on common objectives, ensure adequate funding, prioritization & resources to deliver program success & strong end user adoption
• Proactively plan for and anticipate challenges or roadblocks that may occur. Demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines and flexibility to change priorities
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
• Proven ability to work closely with a diverse group of executives and customers
• Must be a self-starter with little need for day to day guidance
• Ability to analyze problems and multiple alternate solutions to be able to quickly make decisions
• Excellent communication skills - both written and verbal
• Comfortable with public presentation to various stakeholders (front-line staff, clients, company executives)
• Organization: must be extremely organized, capable of prioritizing multiple projects
• Strong detail orientation, analytical and general business skills
• Ability to develop practices, workflows, policy, and technical documentation
Results and Delivery
• Defines appropriate goals
• Works toward achieving goals
• Articulates vision and steps for achievement
• Provides strong leadership
• Sets a good example
• Skilled decision-maker, motivator, encourager
• Acts with integrity and respect, in an open and direct manner
• Manages performance fairly and firmly
• Recognizes and rewards accomplishments
• Encourages our diverse workforce to develop and fully utilize their skills
• Promotes a challenging work environment, empowering our employees to get the job done
• Maintains confidentiality
• Offers new ideas
• Amenable to change
• Understands the balance between our capabilities, the customer’s expectations, and the parameters in which we operate.
• Uses open, honest communication to develop relationships built on trust and mutual respect
• Seeks to incorporate the experience of our diverse customers
• Builds relationships through personal credibility, as opposed to formal authority
• Works to establish and articulate vision
• Shows creativity when defining solutions