About Varsity Tutors
We are revolutionizing the way the world learns.
Our mission is simple: to help people learn! Varsity Tutors is a fast-growing education technology company that is improving how people learn. Our award-winning online and mobile learning platforms connect students and professionals from all around the world with personalized instruction to achieve any goal.
In early 2020 Varsity Tutors launched hundreds of free online group courses to help students (and parents) deal with the chaos of school closures. Conceived, coded and staffed in under a month this has grown to include small paid courses, Star Courses featuring celebrity experts and recently - just before the back-to-school season - we launched a Self Study program featuring a dynamic AI assisted learning assessment with focused recommendations to help students cover the gaps in their knowledge.
We succeed thanks to a diverse mix of talented people who want to come, to stay, and do their best work. If you love learning, technology, and making a true impact, you’re going to love working here!
About the Job
Note: Please feel comfortable applying, even if you don’t meet all the requirements for the position. We’ll let you in on a secret: there’s no such thing as a “perfect” candidate. Everyone can grow at Varsity Tutors. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups and people of diverse backgrounds to apply. Apply now if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day!
We are looking for a Senior Front-End Engineer to join the engineering team for Client & Tutor Experience. Your focus would be on building frontend experiences in React. Familiarity with backend services & technologies is a plus, particularly in Ruby on Rails and/or Golang. We have a complete CI/CD software lifecycle and an evolving services-oriented-architecture hosted in AWS. We operate in a highly collaborative environment with Product and Design to build experiences that matter to our customers. At Varsity Tutors, engineers do not just write code, they actively participate in the conversation on what and how to build the systems and solutions that matter to our customers. If you love your customers as much as we do, we'd love to hear from you.
This position is a full-time remote opportunity!
In this position, you will…
- Write performance, maintainable code that is easy to read and well-documented
- Write automated tests to thoroughly validate the correctness of your code
- Deploy & maintain large-scale web applications
- Have a focus on quality, and operate iteratively to get from good to better
- Be a part of your team’s on-call rotation; we all own our code end-to-end from development to deployment to operations
- Come ready to learn from some of the best and brightest in the industry
- Work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic and fast-moving team, partnering closely with fellow engineers, product management, and design
- Strong experience with React
- Experience with Ruby on Rails or similar web frameworks (e.g. Django)
- Experience with highly concurrent languages such as GoLang, Java or Scala
- Experience with deployment systems (e.g. CodeShip, AWS CodeDeploy)
- Familiarity with AWS Services (e.g. RDS, Kinesis, Lambda, EC2, et cetera)
- Familiarity with the Linux Operating System and command-line tools
- Understanding of OO design, algorithms, and data structures
- Familiarity with implementing e-commerce solutions is beneficial
- Aptitude to quickly learn new languages and technologies as necessary