Senior Java Software Engineer - Avato
Senior Java Software Engineer - Avato
The Avato team is growing! Are you our next Senior Java Software Engineer?
Avato’s innovative Hybrid Integration Platform (HIP) offers a simple solution for complex enterprise integration challenges.
As our Senior Java Developer, you will join our team as one of the first 10 Avato’s while the company grows from its first commercial deployments to scale-up giant killer. You will work directly with our developers including our Chief Architect and CEO and will participate in mentoring and being mentored in the development of successful mission critical projects for high-profile government, healthcare and banking customers.
Your responsibilities would include:
* Write raw Java code, leveraging the JEE framework, including Servlets, Session Beans, JDBC, Sockets, Threads, networking etc.
* Work with Docker, Kubernetes, Helm and Terraform
* Deploy and maintain configurations for JBoss EAP and / or WildFly in both containers and VMs
* Write and maintain SQL code for MySQL and SQL Server
* Work with our front-end developers to facilitate the implementation of JSP pages as part of the HTML5 user interface
* Develop XSLT transforms and services that leverage or utilize XML, XSLT, JSON and other technologies to implement or consume services
* Collaborate with customers and product management to devise an implementation strategy that addresses project requirements
* Design, document, implement and deploy Java, Java EE and SQL code, databases and applications
* Unit test and integration test all functionality developed or affected by the implementation
* Maintain corporate repositories of all source code, architecture artifacts and procedures, and CI/CD pipelines
Who are you?
Ideally, we’re looking for a candidate who checks the following boxes. You are:
* Have solid core Java experience
* Are experienced with Java Enterprise development (JEE), including Servlets, Session Beans, JMS, JSP, and JDBC;
* Are experienced with developing highly available web applications and services, especially using JBoss EAP 7;
* Are armed with knowledge of algorithms and skilled in writing scalable, bulletproof code for systems that just never crash;
* Are undaunted by cryptography algorithms, security-minded, and keenly aware of standards and recommendations like PCI-DSS and OWASP;
* Have strong on SQL, including data modeling and stored procedures using MySQL/MariaDB and SQL Server;
* Are well-versed on network communications including HTTP transports and TCP/IP sockets;
* Are fanatical about object orientation, service orientation and code quality in general;
* Prefer native code over using the latest framework
* Are comfortable in Windows and Linux environments including Azure and RHEL.
* Are familiar with Subversion and GIT
* Are comfortable in JIRA, Azure Dev
If you have the following, we'll be especially interested to talk with you:
* XML, XML Schema (XSD), XML Stylesheets (XSLT 3.0), XPath, XQuery and other related W3C recommendations;
* RESTful interfaces, including experience with JSON Schema, OpenAPI, Swagger or equivalents JWT, JWS and JWE;
* UML Modeling, especially using Sparx Enterprise Architect;
* Knowledge of the financial sector IT landscape;
* Knowledge of the health sector IT landscape.
Who are we?
At Avato, our core belief is that all things technical should just work - that digital systems should speak to each other regardless of standard, age, platform or language.
Too often, good, solid, legacy systems are tossed out the window without a second thought. Wheels are reinvented, wasting precious time and resources. Integration challenges are solved by starting over instead of leveraging the assets that are right in front of us.
That’s why we challenge the status quo. We believe that a world where all software works together is a world where we’re all better off. All that’s needed is a little translation, a little orchestration, and some good tools to put it all together.
We’ve built the Avato integration platform to last, using the simplest possible approach to elegantly and reliably solve really tough business problems at the network tier. It’s simple to use, yet powerful enough to handle all of the needs of data transformation, adaption, communication, process automation and orchestration.
Today, Avato allows banks, health authorities, governments and other highly-regulated organizations to deliver the seamless end-user experiences that today’s consumers need and expect. Tomorrow, Avato will be the de facto choice for all software integration.
Want to come along for the ride?
The Avato culture is smart, fun and open. There is full freedom to call it as we see it. Technically, we are known as thought leaders in a space haunted by large, cranky, ineffective software providers who are all brand and no results.
We’re proud to offer numerous perks and benefits to our team members, including:
* Compassion for each individual to find a balance between their professional and personal lives.
* Flexible work hours that allow you to maximize personal time.
* Compensation package commensurate with your level of experience.
* Employee Stock Option Plan.
* Competitive benefits package.
* Personal Time Off starting at 3 weeks/year PLUS “put out fires only” mode from the start of Christmas week to the end of New Years’ week.
* $1000 budget to get yourself set up at home to work efficiently (not including laptop).
* Approved professional development costs covered by the company.
* Health and fitness bursary of up to $50/ month to be used for that spin class or gym membership.
Think we’d enjoy working together? Apply today!
We are an equal opportunity employer, dedicated and committed to recruiting and selecting applicants on the basis of their qualifications. We strive to increase our diversity and encourage applications from all candidates that meet any of our requirements. We are focused on equality and believe that increasing diversity of thought and lived experience makes us stronger together.
Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Applicants can make their accommodation needs known to us in their application. Please note: all applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Victoria, BC
Experience Level : Senior Level