Senior Software Developer
Senior Software Developer
University of Victoria (UVIC) BC
Why Join Us in Computer Science at UVic
Here at UVic, our people play a vital role in enabling the university to fulfill its mission and promise to become a university of choice for outstanding students, faculty and staff. You will join a close knit, friendly, and dynamic team who provide ongoing systems, custom applications, and support for the Department of Computer Science.
UVic is more than just a workplace – it’s a community. We encourage diversity and celebrate our differences in every aspect of our campus. As such, we are committed to providing a safe, supportive, welcoming and healthy environment that fosters work life balance, personal growth and career success. Come to UVic to pursue a meaningful career and make a vital impact in your community and beyond.
The University of Victoria takes a great deal of pride in being recognized as one of Canada's Best Diversity Employers and Greenest Employers.
Benefits & Perks
UVic compensation is competitive with
- Annual salary increases – 3% progression increases up to the salary job rate, and 2% performance increases from the job rate to the ceiling, of the salary range
- 7 hour work days and 35 hour work weeks
- Generous vacation time off - 22 days to start, increasing to 25 days – 15 days for term employees
- Leaves – maternity, parental, adoption, personnel, sick and long term disability*
- Flexibility in arranging work schedules
- Access to personal and central professional development funds*
- Diverse range of learning and development opportunities*
- Sustainability initiatives including discounted transit passes and a pedestrian and bike friendly campus*
UVic contributes to your and your family’s health and wellbeing through its
- Comprehensive medical, dental* and pension* benefits
- Employee and family assistance program
- Discounted athletic facility membership
- Access to health and wellness tools and resources to support you in finding work-life balance
- *Some eligibility criteria apply for term positions
The salary range for this position is:
- Recruitment range: $69,909 - $78,685 maximum starting salary is determined through knowledge, experience and internal equity.
- Performance range: starting salary to max of $91,385 is available through annual performance increases
This is a continuing position. Only those that hold Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Residency are eligible to work in continuing positions.
The Department of Computer Science, founded in the Faculty of Arts and Science in 1980, is one of four departments in the Faculty of Engineering and offers a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs. In addition to those specifically studying Computer Science and Software Engineering, our students include many in various combined programs and those learning the basics of computers while studying in different fields and faculties. The department also conducts extensive research in a broad range of computing areas.
The Information Technology (IT) Support team maintains hundreds of desktop computers in labs and offices, as well as dozens of servers both in the Engineering and Computer Science (ECS) building and in the Enterprise Data Centre 2 (EDC2) facility. Furthermore we maintain a dynamic internal cloud with well over one hundred virtual machines. The IT Support team develops and maintains a wide range of custom mission-critical software systems to assist with the administration of the department as well as to provide authentication and authorization control over our labs, servers, and systems. The team also provides extensive technical assistance to instructional personnel, administrative employees, and graduate students.
Reporting to the Chair, the Senior Software Developer works as an important member of the team, working to design and develop critical software systems and to ensure the smooth operation of the department’s mandate. This position takes a lead role in the analysis, design, development, troubleshooting, deployment, maintenance, and support of complex information systems for the department, including:
- Authentication and Authorization systems utilizing both Linux based LDAP systems and Microsoft Windows based Active Directory (AD) systems.
- A large number of diverse custom written Linux based applications, including those running daily as batch processes, interactive web based applications, and extensive high-availability micro-service based software running across our cloud environment.
- Software utilizing both SQL and NoSQL based databases to store and retrieve data.
- Software that interfaces with central University Student Information Systems as well as vendor supplied products.
- In the course of any work day, the Senior Software Developer may work on software development, project management, in-depth analysis and investigation of business/functional requirements in conjunction with departmental stakeholders, the creation of related system documentation, and providing a wide variety of support to departmental personnel.
Normal business hours are from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM with some flexibility, but work outside of regular business hours on an emergency or prescheduled basis may be required.
This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or other relevant discipline plus at least 5 years of experience in the development and maintenance of complex and integrated systems in a large enterprise environment.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Specialized knowledge requirements include:
- Expert knowledge of:
- The design and operation of databases such as MongoDB, PostgreSQL, and MySQL.
- In-depth use of networking capabilities within software systems.
- Software testing procedures and frameworks.
- The Linux operating system for development and web based solutions.
- Modern technical architectures and configuration, including cloud and micro-service based systems.
- The support and maintenance of enterprise scale software.
- Familiarity with project management processes.
In addition, this position requires:
- Ability to be an enthusiastic and resourceful team member, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral) in order to interact effectively with colleagues, staff and vendors in a client-oriented environment.
- Ability to successfully contribute to complex projects, develop project work plans, and work in close collaboration with a dynamic team.
- Ability to take direction on the scope and requirements of complex software solutions, and then to coordinate with the supervisor and team on their design and development.
- A high degree of self-motivation, recognizing departmental processes and work flows that may benefit from automation.
- Willingness and ability to acquire new computing and other related skills independently.
- Ability to successfully lead, mentor and coach technical staff.
- Ability to problem solve effectively.
- Ability to write coherent technical and user documentation.
- Ability to work in an effective and organized manner in a complex environment.
Familiarity with higher education business processes would be considered an asset.
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Victoria, BC
Experience Level : Senior Level