Software Developer in Test
Software Developer in Test
Semaphore Solutions Inc.
Founded by software industry experts, Semaphore is the leading global provider of software solutions for high throughput and high complexity molecular diagnostic laboratories. Our clients are pushing the limits of genetic sequencing and other molecular diagnostic technologies to fight cancer, increase diagnostic accuracy, and improve health outcomes for the general population. Molecular diagnostics is playing a key role in the global response to the COVID-19 pandemic, and our clients are also providing critical high-volume testing capacity for their geographical areas. Semaphore offers a unique combination of software and services that is enabling our clients to realize the full potential of genomic science. Our client base is global but mainly concentrated in the United States. As our team grows, we look to include more people motivated to solve interesting problems and to collaborate on original solutions.
We are currently seeking a Software Developer in Test to join Semaphore’s Development Team. We value individuals who aim for continuous improvement and who are capable of assessing and responding to shifting priorities. We are looking for someone who shares these values and brings a passion for applying their skills and experience to real world problems in modern healthcare.
Please note that due to the current COVID pandemic, the Semaphore team is working fully remotely. As there is still uncertainty as to when distancing restrictions will ease, the requirement to work from home may change.
About the Opportunity
We are seeking an experienced developer to apply their expertise in testing and automation best practices to our development team. The successful applicant will lead test automation implementation and will carry out the testing approach for new feature developments. They will provide input into the security and scalability of the product and will participate in design reviews as part of the development team and alongside the product team. Working collaboratively as part of the scrum team, they are an integral part of ensuring user stories and test scenarios are well-defined for product release. This role will be the go-to person to recommend new test automation tools and processes that will improve quality and velocity.
What to Expect
Within One Month
• You’ll ramp up on your project's engineering stack by collaborating with your peers.
• You’ll learn Semaphore’s implementation process, code standards, key milestones, and configuration requirements.
• You’ll become comfortable with our collaboration tools (Slack, Github, Jira, GSuite, and Confluence).
• You’ll learn how it all works within Semaphore: the team roles, the interactions, the metrics, the processes.
Within Three Months
• You’ll be fully ramped up on the tech stack, tools, metrics, and you’ll be able to hold your own in a code review.
• You will start to engage the testing and test automation processes in development.
• You will be involved in design discussions and reviews around feature development.
• You will start to identify new technologies or processes which can be applied to our testing strategies.
• You will work with leadership to identify how best to augment our current processes around testing and test automation.
• You’ll be comfortable applying your unique technical and personal expertise gained from previous companies and projects.
• You'll have celebrated at least one company milestone at Semaphore, and you’ll have started contributing to company culture, feeding your own unique flavour into it.
• You’ll know the capabilities of your team members, trust them to get their jobs done, and provide mentorship as needed.
Within Six Months
• You’ll feel comfortable with the tech stack, understand the communication patterns and common pitfalls in projects, and have contributed across the entire development lifecycle.
• You'll have identified areas in which you’d like to grow and will have our support in doing so.
• You’ll be leading the testing automation process for our development team.
• You’ll be assisting and providing expertise around test automation during design sessions.
• You will start to apply technologies or processes to your work to improve efficiency or collaboration.
• You’ll have led major decisions that drive your project forward.
• You’ll engage with the estimation and scoping process for new features.
• You’ll be able to discuss feature requirements with stakeholders and make design decisions.
• You have a minimum of five years of professional experience developing web applications.
• You have a working knowledge of Docker.
• You’re interested in growing your knowledge and skills in test environment provisioning and configuring using technologies like Terraform, Ansible, Kubernetes, GCP, or AWS.
• You have a desire and ability to carry out exploratory testing of key features.
• You’re comfortable with Selenium-based test automation tools.
• You are familiar with OpenAPI specs and their use in testing services.
• You have experience in analyzing and writing test standards and procedures.
• This position requires proven experience with modern frameworks and testing practices. Experience with any of the following technologies qualifies:
• Front-end development: Angular, React, or other single-page application framework
• Server development: Python, Java, .NET CoreBeyond specific tech stacks, we want people who can identify and implement the appropriate language, tools, and frameworks for the task at hand.
• Our process is rooted in continuous improvement. We refine all our processes as we grow, including our Agile practice.
More About Us
Semaphore strives to have an environment where employees are free to be themselves and can find a sense of belonging. We value inclusiveness as we believe it is integral to a happy and innovative workplace. We offer competitive salaries, vacation, extended health/dental, flexible hours and options to work from home. Our downtown office is equipped with secure, street-level bike storage and sunny patio space for office events, lunch or meetings. Please note that the downtown office is currently closed and all staff are working remotely until further notice.
Please apply for this opportunity directly through the Semaphore Careers Page here!
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Remote, Victoria, BC
Experience Level : Intermediate Level, Senior Level