Software Developer in Test - Semaphore Solutions
Software Developer in Test - Semaphore Solutions
Who We are
Semaphore is the leading global provider of software solutions for high throughput and high complexity molecular diagnostic laboratories. Our clients are pushing the limits of genetic sequencing and other molecular diagnostic technologies to fight cancer, increase diagnostic accuracy, and improve health outcomes for the general population. We are extremely proud of our contribution to the Covid-19 pandemic response, which enabled our clients to increase critical high-volume testing capacity in their geographical areas.
Semaphore’s culture is based on putting people first. We provide our staff with genuine support for their wellbeing, and encourage their best work through autonomy, flexibility and continuous learning. We strive to create an environment where individuals feel a connection to their role, each other and our community.
Where We’re Going
Semaphore is embarking on an exciting new phase as we build the intelligent Laboratory Management System of the future. Our platform will provide key infrastructure to clinical genomic laboratories as they develop the full potential of genomic science. This innovative product will help to advance diagnostics and therapies that will result in improved health outcomes across the globe. We are looking to grow our team with people who are fascinated by the intersection of software and healthcare and want to be part of a purpose-driven team that is disrupting how science informs human health.
We would love to have you working with us at our hybrid office in Victoria, BC, however, remote candidates currently eligible to work in Canada or the United States are welcome to apply, subject to time zone alignment with our team(s).
We are currently seeking a Software Developer in Test (SDET) to join Semaphore’s Platform Development Team. Semaphore values individuals who are passionate about continuous improvement and who are capable of assessing and responding to shifting priorities. We are looking for a critical thinker that shares these values and is interested in helping to solve real world problems in modern healthcare through our platform. This is an exciting opportunity, as this role will have a noticeable impact on our Laboratory Management System of the future!
About the Opportunity
Reporting to the Head of Product Development, you will be responsible for applying your expertise in testing and automation best practices on the platform team. You will lead test automation implementation, maintain and improve existing testing frameworks, as well as determine testing for new feature developments. As part of the development team and alongside the product team, you will participate in design reviews, recommend overall testing methodology and provide input into the security and scalability of the platform. Working collaboratively as part of the scrum team, you are an integral part of ensuring user stories and test scenarios are well-defined for product release. Being in this role, you will be the go-to person to recommend new test automation tools and processes that will improve quality and velocity of the platform.
To be successful in this role, you must have strong communication skills along with an ability to dissect big picture concepts and anticipate the needs from the perspective of the user. You thrive in dynamic team environments, adapting and collaborating with ease to changing requirements. Your curiosity and openness to learning will be key as you transition onto the team and learn about our domain. Experience working in the domain of genomics, clinical laboratories or in health science is an asset but not required.
What to Expect
Within One Month
- You’ll ramp up on the platform’s engineering stack by collaborating with your peers.
- You’ll ramp up on the genomics and clinical lab domain with help from various stakeholders.
- You’ll learn Semaphore’s development process, code standards, key milestones, and configuration requirements.
- You’ll become comfortable with our collaboration tools (Slack, Github, Jira, GSuite, and Confluence).
- You’ll learn how it all works within Semaphore: the team roles, the interactions, the metrics, the processes.
Within Three Months
- You’ll be fully ramped up on the tech stack, tools, metrics, and you’ll be able to hold your own in a code review.
- You will start to engage the testing and test automation processes in development.
- You will be involved in design discussions and reviews around feature development.
- You will start to identify new technologies or processes which can be applied to our testing strategies.
- You will work with leadership to identify how best to augment our current processes around testing and test automation.
- You’ll be comfortable applying your unique technical and personal expertise gained from previous companies and projects.
- You'll have celebrated at least one company milestone at Semaphore, and you’ll have started contributing to company culture with your own unique perspectives.
- You’ll know the capabilities of your team members, trust them to get their jobs done, and provide mentorship as needed.
Within Six Months
- You’ll feel comfortable with the tech stack, and understand the workflows and communication patterns that go into our platform development.
- You’ll be leading the testing automation process for our development team.
- You’ll be assisting and providing expertise around test automation during design sessions.
- You will start to apply technologies or processes to your work to improve efficiency or collaboration.
- You’ll have led major decisions that drive the platform forward.
- You’ll engage with the estimation and scoping process for new features.
- You’ll be able to discuss feature requirements with stakeholders and make design decisions.
Beyond Six Months
- You’ll be able to identify system interoperability, automation, and develop reusable tools or processes to inform our future feature development.
- You’ll have led major product and code decisions and have driven the product forward.
- You’ll play an active role in design sessions, team activities, and ceremonies.
- You’ll review requirements and upcoming work prior to development starting to ensure all work is concrete and can have testing strategies or automations applied.
- You’ll have a solid picture of how software plays a critical role in the management of our clients' businesses.
- You’ll take feedback from peers and identify your career path and how Semaphore fits in it. You’ll have a sense of Semaphore’s growth and feel comfortable contributing your ideas that improve your team and the overall company.
- You have five+ years of professional experience developing web applications.
- You bring an understanding of web development tech stacks and processes.
- You have a working knowledge of Docker.
- You’re interested in growing your knowledge and skills in test environment provisioning and configuring using technologies like Terraform, Nomad and AWS.
- You have a desire and ability to carry out exploratory testing of key features.
- You’re comfortable with Selenium-based test automation tools.
- You are familiar with OpenAPI specs and their use in testing services.
- You have experience in analyzing and writing test standards and procedures.
This position requires proven experience with any of the following technologies:
- Front-end development: React or other single-page application framework
- Server development: Java
- Implementation development: Python
Beyond specific tech stacks, we want people who can identify and implement the appropriate language, tools, and frameworks for the task at hand.
Our process is rooted in continuous improvement. We refine all our processes as we grow, including our Agile practice.
Working at Semaphore
Semaphore strives to have a supportive environment where employees are free to be themselves and can find a sense of belonging. We value inclusiveness, as we believe it is integral to a happy and innovative workplace.
We offer competitive salaries, vacation, extended health/dental, flexible hours and options to work from home. Our downtown office is equipped with secure, street-level bike storage and sunny patio space for office events, lunch, or meetings.
To apply for this role, please visit our Careers Page: https://jobs.lever.co/semaphoresolutions/f9ed4ed2-6e9a-4ab1-bfed-749351f365ed
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Remote, Victoria, BC
Experience Level : Intermediate Level