Change.org is searching for a Staff / Senior Staff Engineer to help build key features and systems that enable our users to take actions to raise awareness and lead petitions towards victories.
We’re a social impact business (a public benefit company), and the largest tech platform focused on civic action in the world with 200m monthly users, 50,000 campaigns launched on the site every month, 180 staff, and a new revenue model that has grown by 500% in 2 years. We’re growing quickly, and our users win campaigns for change once every hour. From strengthening hate crime legislation in South Africa; fighting corruption in Indonesia, Italy, and Brazil; to fighting violence against women in India.
We are looking for a Staff Backend Engineer who is great at building, managing and debugging large scale distributed systems, using a craftsmanship culture and has a passion for expanding our platform to mobilize hundreds of millions of people to take deeper civic action.
Our team of 14+ Engineers is responsible for designing and building the major core features and systems that drive petitions impact to reach victories. Our users are Petition supporters who sign, share and contribute financially to spread and increase awareness of each cause. This hire will be expected to be located at our Victoria, Canada office (we support relocation) and report to our Director of Engineering.
As a key member of our Engineering team, you’ll:
- Architect and build new features and services, maintain existing ones.
- Manage scaling performance enhancements.
- Help to set technical direction and priorities
- Have to ability to break down ambiguous problems into actionable chunks and then execute on them
- Perform code reviews and mentoring more junior engineers to level up the team
- Debug issues across the stack and underlying systems
The most important capabilities for the role are:
- Coding skills: Full stack mindset, with expertise on the backend.
- Architecture & Design, Performance: Ability to create robust, scalable, and performant cross-systems architecture and influence architectural decisions in a collaborative environment.
- Planning & Execution: Deconstructing projects into a well-defined action plan, and being responsible for its execution.
- Communication: Communicate early and often, sharing ideas, analysis, and information in a direct, articulate manner. Partner and collaborate effectively cross-functionally.
- Coaching & Mentorship: You’ve helped shape and define other engineers’ growth. Even better if you’ve also been responsible for their growth as their direct manager!
- Experience using Ruby with amplified ability to work on backend
- Experience working independently with little supervision
- Experience managing uncertainty and ability to keep calm, learn, and move forward in the face of change
- Experience mentoring and coaching engineers
Additional experience we are looking for:
- Familiarity with Event Driven Architecture
- Experience building strategic solutions for full team execution
About our Engineering Team
Our team of 50+ engineers (San Francisco, Victoria) are committed to lean and agile development, have recently transitioned to an autonomous team structure, and leverage modern web technologies (we recently built a new high-volume communications stack using Elixir, migrated our Front-end to React, and began decoupling our services with an event-driven architecture). We are 100% cloud-based through AWS.
Interested? Great! Here's what you should know
It’s rare that a candidate has a ‘perfect’ set of relevant experiences, we do not expect this, and all candidates are encouraged to apply, even if you are missing some of the items in the list above. Change.org is a global company, and salaries are adjusted for cost of labor in each city. For example, an annual salary of a Staff Software Engineer would be $146,000 CAD or Senior Staff Software Engineer would be $172,000 CAD in Victoria. In exceptional circumstances, we may offer below the listed salary for high potential candidates with less experience, or above it for candidates with significantly more experience.
We anticipate moving very quickly and our evaluation process is as follows:
- 30 min interview with our Recruiter
- 75 min interview with our Director of Engineering
- 3 hour virtual onsite (includes pair programming session & meeting with a member of the product team
-30 min interview with our CTO
We especially encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. We’re actively working
to increase the diversity of experience and perspectives on our team and are looking for someone who can help continue to lead that process. Change.org
is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, or disability or veteran status.
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Victoria, BC
Experience Level : Senior Level