Team Lead - Development Support
Team Lead - Development Support
EducationPlannerBC is B.C.’s provincial application and data exchange hub designed to provide improved access to post-secondary education in B.C. by engaging and informing applicants and their supporters throughout their post-secondary research, planning and application process. EducationPlannerBC works to proactively innovate for our applicants, public post-secondary institutions and government partners.
Reporting to the Manager, Technical Operations, the Team Lead, Development Support is responsible for the technical platform that hosts all EPBC services. The Team Lead, Development Support is an experienced IT practitioner with excellent technical skills and a customer-service focus. The position will collaborate with others while leading project teams. This role is responsible for designing, implementing, and supporting the automated testing environment that underpins the overall quality assurance for the products and services produced. The position contributes to technical activities such as software development, software testing, systems design, system maintenance, general systems administration, and business analysis to support the software development process.
Key Accountabilities & Time Allocation
Systems Architecture and Design (40%)
- In collaboration with the Manager, Technical Operations and with input from the Team Leads, design the systems architecture
- Reviews systems utilization and capacity, storage and backup planning.
- Sets the standards for system configuration, automated testing, systems security, and database design
- Monitors overall systems performance and identifies performance bottlenecks or issues
Team Management and Support (30%)
- Perform task management for team members
- Review the work of team members to ensure it meets the stated objectives and is aligned to industry standards
- Troubleshoot, and problem solve technical issues with other members of the team
- Ensure that all team members are following established processes and standards
- Provide guidance and coaching to development team members to enhance their skills, recognize their performance, and support quality work
- Work closely with other Team Leads to determine work priorities, manage workflows, coordinate resources, and constructively resolve issues
Establish Standards (20%)
- Establish and maintain standards for automated testing, functional, performance, and security
- Establish and maintain standards for SQL database administration and maintenance
- Establish and maintain standards for security management and monitoring
- Establish and maintain standard processes for system administration and maintenance
- Establish and maintain standards for documentation
Other duties and random responsibilities (10%)
- Lead and assist are establishing test cases
- Troubleshoot any technical issues that arise
- Perform appropriate end-user training
- Reviewing logs and other artifacts looking for issues
- Ability to provide team members with guidance and constructive feedback to work-related questions and performance
- Ability to coordinate, assign, and review workloads of self and others
- Proven organizational skills and the ability to efficiently manage multiple projects and tasks with competing deadlines
- Proven problem-solving skills with the ability to determine root causes and provide recommendations to management, staff and stakeholders
Ability to collaborate across the organization, seeking to understand the interests of others, and support the collective mandate of EPBC
- Ability to build and foster mutually beneficial relationships with stakeholders
- Ability to communicate in both technical and non-technical terms and present information to non-expert audiences
- A focus on providing exceptional client service to all EPBC staff and external stakeholders
Ability to translate technical analysis of information and concepts into workable solutions
Education, Knowledge and Experience
Bachelor’s degree, or vocational or technical school degree or an acceptable combination of education, training, and 5-8 years experience
Understanding of the BC post-secondary system or government environment preferred
Experience with cloud environments with an emphasis on Azure in Production and Azure Devops.
Technical and experience developing REST APIs written in C#, Java, and/or Go
Experience in the design of relational database schema and their implementation using inline SQL and database stored procedures and functions
Familiarity with PESC XML standards (pesc.org)
Knowledge of XML and XML schema and its applications
Knowledge of JSON and JSON schema and its applications
Experience using Agile development approach
Demonstrated experience doing deployments with Docker
Knowledge of automated build and deployment approaches and technologies
Experience in systems design and administration, SQL server database design and administration, automated testing approaches, security design and monitoring, cloud-based systems design and administration
Experience with tooling such as Terraform and Ansible to create infrastructure as code automation
Experience in OS configuration, automated build and deployment activities, containerization of systems or processes such as Docker or Kubernetes
Experience in writing scripts for common approaches, write SQL statements
The key stakeholders and team members this role interacts with include:
Internal stakeholders – All Members of the organization, SFU
External stakeholders – PSIs, Vendors, SFU, Governance Committees, BC Government Ministries, Provincial and National Hubs (e.g. ARUCC National Network), PSI organizations (e.g. BCRA, WARUCC), Sector Agencies (e.g. BCCAT, BCcampus), Industry Partners (e.g. PESC, GDN)
Decision Making Authority
Decisions generally affect their own work and the workflow of others in the department. Through the collaborative nature of EPBC, decisions may also impact the workflow or reputation of other departments. In some instances, decisions may impact stakeholders, precedents, and procedures.
This role had no financial responsibility.
This position is expected to have the normal working conditions expected of a professional office role. Additional working conditions include:
- Working evenings and/or weekends every month in addition to the normal workweek may be required to met project deadlines
- Occasional travel may be required
This is a permanent position, the salary range for this position is $82,000 - $98,000 commensurate with experience, and it is based in Victoria.
To apply for this position, please send your CV firstname.lastname@example.org
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, although only those eligible to work in Canada will be considered.
This posting will remain open until the position is filled.
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Victoria, BC
Experience Level : Senior Level