Position Title: Team Leader, Software Development (Application Development Lead)
Reports to: Senior Director, Software Development
Worker Category: Regular, Full Time
Location: 716 Yates Street, Victoria, BC
The role of the Application Developer Lead is to coordinate developer tasks including planning, mentoring, maintaining developer standards and keeping current with ongoing technology and projects. The lead will work closely with the manager to resource development tasks, support impact analysis and design, testing activities, coordinate deployments, and attend various project status meetings as team representation.
The team lead will need to mentor/direct team members regarding development activities. This involves creating new applications and adapting the existing ones to new demands to expand the functionality while also providing application support and maintenance. Other responsibilities will include setting and maintaining development and company standards, incorporating technology upgrades and enhancements, improving the teams technical skills and keeping current with corporate direction in expanding new technology solutions.
The Application Developer Lead must be hands-on in working with Business system analysts, end users and key stakeholders and has the ability to effectively communicate/respond to queries/questions in a timely manner.
The Application Developer Lead must be able to oversee and manage Application Developers in their work and conduct administrative tasks such as one on one meetings with Application Developers.
Good communication and interpersonal skills are essential
• Manage and assign Developer tasks
• Review and provide feedback on developer deliverables
• Consult with the IT Claims Manager on requests/Work Orders and Service Requests when assigning to the developer
• Collaborate with the BSAs to determine impact analysis - application and scheduling, design, review business and technical requirements.
• Develops skill set improvement plans and show the developers better ways of doing things and help them improve their skills
• Input to technology upgrade/refresh roadmaps
• Ensure all of the developers on the team are adhering to the software quality standards of the application and the company so that work is done to the highest possible quality.
• Collaborates with designers, architects, business system analysts and testing specialists to deliver high quality solutions
• Design and develop custom code application features and functions to technical and functional programming standards.
Education and Experience
• Degree from an accredited college or university, with major coursework in systems analysis, information systems, computer science or a related field, and have experience successfully implementing and supporting enterprise applications
• The ideal candidate will have 5+ years of experience in an identical
• 5 or more years' experience in an identical or similar role
• Experience with the application landscape that supports the British Columbia Ministries is desirable, but not required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Participate in all phases of the software development life cycle (SDLC) to deliver applications that address business requirements
• Application maintenance, production systems support, designing and developing solutions using application development tools
• Possess good organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to perform comfortably in a fast-paced, team based system support and deliverables-oriented work environment
• Experience supporting mission critical applications
• Experience leading teams
• Proactively plan for and anticipate challenges or roadblocks that may occur. Demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines and flexibility to change priorities
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
• Proven ability to work closely with a diverse group of executives and customers
• Must be a self-starter with little need for day to day guidance
• Excellent communication skills - both written and verbal
• Organization: must be extremely organized, capable of prioritizing multiple projects
• Strong detail orientation, analytical and general business skills
• Ability to develop practices, workflows, policy, and technical documentation
Results and Delivery
• Defines appropriate goals
• Works toward achieving goals
• Articulates vision and steps for achievement
• Provides strong leadership
• Sets a good example
• Skilled decision-maker, motivator, encourager
• Acts with integrity and respect, in an open and direct manner
• Manages performance fairly and firmly
• Recognizes and rewards accomplishments
• Encourages our diverse workforce to develop and fully utilize their skills
• Promotes a challenging work environment, empowering our employees to get the job done
• Maintains confidentiality
• Offers new ideas
• Amenable to change
• Understands the balance between our capabilities, the customer's expectations, and the parameters in which we operate.
• Uses open, honest communication to develop relationships built on trust and mutual respect
• Seeks to incorporate the experience of our diverse customers
• Builds relationships through personal credibility, as opposed to formal authority
• Works to establish and articulate vision
• Shows creativity when defining solutions