Technical Writer - Zetron
Technical Writer - Zetron
As a Technical Writer at Zetron, you will be responsible for writing technical documentation to support various company software, hardware, and systems.
THE POWER TO RESPOND AND BE HEARD:
Our Victoria, British Columbia office has been a center of engineering excellence since its founding in 1938. For over 80 years, we have been a trusted provider of LMR communications products and solutions that help our customers protect, inform, and save lives. Now we are applying those standards of excellence to build and deliver interoperable end-to-end command & control systems across multiple industries and international markets.
Headquartered in Redmond, WA, USA, with centers of engineering excellence in Victoria, BC, Canada, and Brisbane, QLD, Australia, Zetron currently has over 40,000 console positions, hundreds of established partners and value-added resellers, and coverage in more than 100 countries. Zetron is an established global leader in connecting communications centers with field operations, personnel, and constituents.
About the role?
As a Technical Writer at Zetron, you will be responsible for writing technical documentation to support various company software, hardware, and systems. Deliverables include writing online help, operation manuals, technical information, installation instruction, and manufacturing documents.
As a key member of the team, you must be able to:
- Develop software, hardware, and system manuals for installation, operation, administration, configuration, and maintenance; generate new or modify existing materials as necessary.
- Examine documents such as drawings, change orders, and specifications for completeness and accuracy of data per established procedures; initiate Manufacturing changes when necessary.
- Assist in identifying documentation needs and able to make progress with incomplete information.
- Create any necessary graphics and coordinate layout and manual organization.
- Research available engineering information such as specifications, drawings, equipment, and test specifications.
- Read complex engineering documentation and interview product developers to obtain understanding of features.
- Research and learn new or existing products via existing materials and hands-on access to equipment/software.
- Coordinate schedules with other internal departments, ensuring documentation is completed according to project milestones.
- Participate in editorial peer-review process to ensure high-quality, consistent deliverables according to industry and company formats, styles, and standards.
- Evaluate and measure product documentation effectiveness and update material as required.
What makes a successful Technical Writer?
- An Associate degree, preferably in Technical Writing, or equivalent professional experience.
- A minimum five (5) years of technical writing experience for complex software systems.
- Background knowledge of telecommunications, networking, and systems.
- Proficient in PC operating systems, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Framemaker, Word, DITA, XML.
- Ability to interview subject matter experts (SMEs) and conduct research necessary to produce accurate, comprehensive documents.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to perform work functions with a consistently high degree of efficiency, thoroughness, accuracy and follow-through.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong process documentation.
- Ability to adapt and respond positively and effectively to change, delay, and/or shifting priorities and goals.
- Ability to prioritize, plan work to accomplish goals, and schedule tasks to meet deadlines.
BENEFITS AND CULTURE:
At Zetron, we know that a compensation package doesn’t just stop at your salary. Our culture encompasses high performing people who work hard but also enjoy each other’s company and love sharing ideas. We are located near beautiful downtown Victoria in the newly restored Press Building with modern office space built for collaboration!
As a full-time employee, you will have access to a variety of benefits including:
- Competitive benefits package
- Healthcare & Wellness Spending Account
- Company matched retirement savings program
- Short-term incentive plan
- Training budget for continuous improvement of your skills
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Victoria, BC
Experience Level : Intermediate Level