Tools Software Engineer
Tools Software Engineer
The team at Metalhead comes from diverse backgrounds, unified by a passion to make original games. We've supported and inspired each other through the development and evolution of the Super Mega Baseball series and have built a fiercely loyal fanbase in the process. And we get to do it all from downtown Victoria. We're growing the studio and hope you'll consider joining us.
Metalhead is looking for a Tools Software Engineer. You will report to our lead tools & pipeline engineer and will work with the art, rendering and senior software engineering teams to implement pragmatic solutions across our content creation pipeline. You will also shepherd data through content creation tools, offline processing, storage, caching and ultimately runtime loading and streaming systems.
What you'll do:
- Work with artists, technical artists, and the art director to design & implement tools that let them implement their creative vision.
- Analyze workflows and bottlenecks in the content production process, identify opportunities for automation to improve the process and implement practical solutions.
- Devise and implement methods to optimally store and transform data along the offline tool processing chain.
- Implement custom plugins in tools such as 3ds Max, Maya and Substance Designer using scripting languages and C++.
- Implement new features and improve existing ones in the level editing tools using C# and C++.
- Identify 3rd party solutions and integrate them into our workflow where appropriate.
Qualities we're looking for:
- Excellent and proven communication skills.
- 3+ years of experience using C++ and C# in a professional environment.
- Experience with video game content pipelines on shipped games.
Bonus points for…
- Working knowledge of 3ds Max and MAXScript, or similar software packages.
- A degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or similar.
- Familiarity with the Collada format.
- Experience working with distributed build systems.
- A cover letter is greatly appreciated.
Regardless of your specialization, a few things we're always looking for:
- Passion. You love programming and are always looking to learn more and hone your craft. Your shower thoughts are often software related.
- A sense of humility and ability to thrive in a team environment. You look for help when you're stuck and you want to help your teammates when they need it.
- A knack for managing your time. You know when to go deeper on a task versus recognizing that it's time to get 'er done and move on to the next thing. Quality is important, but so is speed!
- A willingness to branch into areas outside your core expertise. It's just a fact of life in a small studio as we adapt to the changing demands at each stage of a project.
- Drive to execute. Projects you've worked on in the past (personal or professional) got finished, and got finished properly… and it had a lot to do with you.
At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Apply now via the EA Careers page!
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Victoria, BC