EducationPlannerBC is B.C.’s provincial application and data exchange hub designed to provide improved access to post-secondary education in B.C. by engaging and informing applicants and their supporters throughout their post-secondary research, planning and application process. EducationPlannerBC works to proactively innovate for our applicants, public post-secondary institutions and government partners.
Reporting to the Director, Technology Development, the UI Developer is responsible for developing, troubleshooting, and documenting our products' user interfaces. The UI Developer is an experienced IT practitioner with excellent technical skills, has a customer-service focus, and works well both independently and in project teams. The UI Developer participates in all software lifecycle phases: team project planning, requirements analysis, design, development, testing, deployment, and support. In all these areas, the UI developer provides leadership and consulting to junior staff. The role is part of the technical activities such as software development, software testing, systems design, system maintenance, general systems administration, and business analysis to support the software development process.
Key Accountabilities & Time Allocation
- Generate clean and efficient code to support the development, maintenance and successful implementation of EPBC’s products and services
- Perform basic tests to ensure that the code that has been developed satisfies the requirements
- Translates system specifications into software application code and takes appropriate measures to ensure quality
- Produce relevant documentation for the software that has been developed
- Provide estimates for the effort to complete a task
- Participate in sprint planning
Troubleshoot and Bug Fix (40%)
- Collaborate with technical support to identify and resolve issues
- Create hotfixes for any issues that require an immediate fix to be deployed to the production environment
- Collaborate with the automated and manual testing teams to resolve issues raised during the testing process
Software Design (10%)
- Collaborate with the team lead to identify the general architecture/structure of the software that is being built
- Provide design, and architectural approaches to the team lead for consideration in the design of the overall solution
- Develops implementation plans with milestones and participates in technical communications with stakeholders
- Perform load/performance testing and address any shortcomings in performance due to inefficient design
- A sense of initiative, with the ability to set priorities and follow workflows
- A focus on providing exceptional client service to all EPBC staff and external stakeholders
- Ability to apply problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ability to communicate, both verbally and in writing, being mindful of your audience and their communication needs
- Ability to work collaboratively by building and maintaining positive working relationships with team members across the organization and with external stakeholders, if applicable
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable, adjusting to occasional shifts in workload and task priorities
Education, Knowledge and Experience
A Bachelor's degree in software development, computer science, or a related field is required or an acceptable combination of education, training and 1+ years of experience
Understanding of the BC post-secondary system or government environment preferred
Knowledge around building complex and interactive web-based applications.
Knowledge of client-side web frameworks
Knowledge of how REST API’s are constructed and consumed by applications
Experience using Agile development approach
Strong UI/UX design skills
Experience writing and debug UI software, document software that has been produced, perform some basic tests to confirm software meets business requirements, troubleshoot software when not producing desired results, write unit tests
This is a one-year term position that could become a permanent position, the salary range for this position is $70,000 - $90,000 commensurate with experience, along with a standard set of benefits, and it is based in Victoria.
To apply for this position, please send your CV email@example.com
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, although only those eligible to work in Canada will be considered.
This posting will remain open until the position is filled.
Job Type : Temporary
Location : Victoria, BC
Experience Level : Intermediate Level