Web Designer & Developer
Web Designer & Developer
We are seeking a Website Designer & Developer who is motivated to combine the art of design with the art of programming. Responsibilities will include translation of designs into code that will produce visual elements of an application or website. You will work to bridge the gap between graphical design and technical implementation, taking an active role on both sides and defining how our web projects look as well as how they work.
Animikii is a Victoria-based digital agency and social enterprise (Certified B Corp) that works with leading, Indigenous-focused organizations from all industries to drive positive change for Indigenous Peoples through technology. Learn more at WWW.ANIMIKII.COM/CAREERS.
The Website Designer & Developer will play an active role in our website and web application projects. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Create web designs and mockups using Photoshop, Illustrator, XD and Sketch.
- Implement designs using our custom website content management system (based on liquid markup).
- Ensure the technical feasibility of proposed mockups from other designers.
- Accurately implement mockups from other designers.
- Ensure best-practices and thorough testing throughout the lifecycle of a project including cross-browser compatibility, responsive design, SEO and accessibility.
- Build reusable code, libraries and website templates for future use.
- Support our giving-back program through pro-bono time, volunteering (paid), workshop delivery or other social impact initiatives that are important to the team.
- Continuous learning to keep ahead of evolving technologies through an individual professional development plan.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR…
- Degree or diploma in design, computer science or equivalent experience.
- 5 years minimum experience working in a client-service environment (digital agency or freelance).
- Demonstrated understanding of HTML5 & CSS3.
- Proficient with CSS architecture/methodology like SMACSS or BEM.
- Experience with server-side CSS pre-processing platforms, such as LESS and SASS.
- Experience working with Web Service protocols and REST/JSON APIs.
- Familiarity with Ruby on Rails including asset pipeline and Rails views.
- Motivated self-starter; ability to start, manage and prioritize multiple projects.
- Customer service and interpersonal skills to communicate, consult and build relationships with clients, staff and partners.
- Experience and a demonstrated interest in working with Indigenous communities.
- Team collaborators who are willing to wear many hats and jump in on many aspects of our projects, even if it’s outside of your core skill set.
- Individuals who are interested to implement Animikii’s core values through the 7 Sacred Teachings (Humility, Truth, Honesty, Wisdom, Respect, Courage and Love).
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, AND ACCESSIBILITY
Animikii is diversity in tech in action and we value a diverse workforce. Indigenous people, people of color, women, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQIA2S+ community are strongly encouraged to apply. Animikii believes an equitable and inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered team are key to achieving our mission. We’re looking for candidates who can expand our team culture, challenge business as usual, and bring their whole selves to work. We strive to provide those candidates with an equitable and accessible recruitment process. If we can offer accommodations for you in the recruitment process or you have feedback on how to make our recruiting more accessible, please let us know.
HOW TO APPLY
Animikii’s headquarters are in Victoria however we’re a remote-friendly organization and would be open to fully remote or a mixed schedule of in-office and remote work. Start date is negotiable. Competitive benefits package and salary commensurate with experience. Please email CAREERS@ANIMIKII.COM with your resume and cover letter communicating your desire to join our team. In your letter, please address the following four topics in the order described below:
- Describe two things that attracted you to this job opportunity at Animikii?
- Why do you want to work at an Indigenous-focused organization like ours?
- Which of our values are most important to you in the workplace (Humility, Truth, Honesty, Wisdom, Respect, Courage and Love)?
- What experiences have you had that have prepared you most for this role?
- Operating as a social enterprise, giving back is a core foundation at Animikii. How would you use technology, innovation, your energy and company resources to give back to the community?
Self-identifying as Indigenous, having first-hand knowledge or experience working with an Indigenous community will be considered an asset.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only selected candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Job Type : Full-Time
Location : Vancouver Island, BC
Experience Level : Intermediate Level